By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Did Microsoft's Acquisition of SEGA Fall Through?

Tagged games:

Why Did Microsoft's Acquisition of SEGA Fall Through?

"There was always talk maybe we buy SEGA or something like that..."

Microsoft's long-rumoured plan to acquire SEGA never came to pass because Bill Gates was sceptical the company had "enough muscle" to stop Sony, according to the company's former VP of Windows Sales.

But for Bill [Gates] this wasn’t enough, he didn’t think that SEGA had enough muscle to eventually stop Sony so we did our own Xbox thing.

Joachim Kempin, who worked at Microsoft between 1983 and 2003, made the claim in an interview with IGN due to go live later today. He explained that the acquisition of SEGA was originally floated as an easy way for Microsoft to enter the console space and stop Sony, especially given the huge financial losses associated with in-house hardware manufacturing.

"There were three companies at that point in time, I think this was [Sony,] SEGA and Nintendo. There was always talk maybe we buy SEGA or something like that; that never materialised, but we were actually able to license them what they call Windows CE, the younger brother of Windows, to run on their system and make that their platform.

"But for Bill [Gates] this wasn’t enough, he didn’t think that SEGA had enough muscle to eventually stop Sony so we did our own Xbox thing.

"There were some talks but it never materialised because SEGA was a very different bird. It was always Sony and Nintendo, right? And Nintendo had some financial trouble at that point in time, so Sony came out with the PlayStation and bang! They took off, and everyone else was left behind."

The full interview with Joachim Kempin will be published later today but, in the meantime, check out what he had to say about why Microsoft entered the console business, as well as his suspicion that the Xbox 720's interface will be inspired by Windows 8.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/08/why-did-microsofts-acquisition-of-sega-fall-through?abthid=5114d51614cc6d0149000034

Around the Network

Man. The creative minds and innovation of Sega backed by Windows str8 cash would have created the greatest force in gaming we have ever seen.

J_Allard said:
Man. The creative minds and innovation of Sega backed by Windows str8 cash would have created the greatest force in gaming we have ever seen.

Indeed.

I mean, online gaming in 1997 on the Sega Saturn...Just sayin'.

Yep and Sega kind of paved the way for XBL too with their SegaNet subscription service on Dreamcast. They were just too far ahead of their time without the money to pay for it.

J_Allard said:

I dunno about that. Microsoft has better companies to make games than Sega. In fact I think they've surpassed Segas potential to draw dollars by a large amount.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:

You could also see the same thing happen to Sega that happened to Rare.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
J_Allard said:

I dunno about that. Microsoft has better companies to make games than Sega. In fact I think they've surpassed Segas potential to draw dollars by a large amount.

Only if you're thinking Microsoft in 2013 Vs Sega in 2000/2001.  Back then you'd be hard pressed to find a better game developer lineup than what Sega had. 

I don't know of anyone MS has that is better than Dreamcast era Sega. Sure they might have better studios than Sega NOW but even that is pretty debatable.

I cannot imagine what Sega could have done if money were not an issue. It would have been amazing.

Booyah said:
J_Allard said:

You could also see the same thing happen to Sega that happened to Rare.

Thats what happened to Sega when they stayed Sega so... :)

Sega is now only a former shadow of is greatness, they dont very got alot to offer these day :(