By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate's online multi-player is region locked

Tagged games:

In an odd move, the online servers for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii-U are region locked, Capcom have revealed.

Monster Hunter series producer, Ryozo Tsujimoto, shared the information with Gamereactor in a recent interview.  This means that American players will not be able to play online with European players, and neither one of them will be able to play with Japanese players either.  Capcom have since confirmed the news on their forums.

It should be noted that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate runs on Nintendo servers, but just what the cause of this decision is remains unknown, considering that Nintendo 3DS games allow for cross-region online multi-player. 

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate will be released on March 19th in North America and March 22nd in Europe.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/07/monster-hunter-3-ultimates-online-multiplayer-is-region-locked/

Around the Network

why? what possible benefit is there to this move?

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I'm not sure whether this is actually bad news or not, depends on who you play with I suppose, but thought it was worth posting in case there's anyone out there planning to play cross-continent. Although I wouldn't imagine it'd make much difference with Japan since the language barrier would be there anyway.

Seems an odd choice, but there you go.

well crapcom is run by idiots

If they were running on Capcom's servers, i wouldn't find it odd at all: Tri was also region-locked. But if it's on Nintendo's servers, no, it really doesn't make sense

Unless Capcom is just porting their Tri netcode straight over.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
I'm not sure whether this is actually bad news or not, depends on who you play with I suppose, but thought it was worth posting in case there's anyone out there planning to play cross-continent. Although I wouldn't imagine it'd make much difference with Japan since the language barrier would be there anyway.

I honestly don't see a benefit to this :S 

Does this mean you can't play the game with your friends who are in a different continent as well?

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
Kresnik said:

Does this mean you can't play the game with your friends who are in a different continent as well?

Unless they own a version of the game from that continent (and, of course, a region-free Wii U, which can't happen yet).

I do recall a Greek user with a Demons Souls avatar who played with us in Tri back in the day, but he deliberately had an American Wii.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Kresnik said:

Unless they own a version of the game from that continent (and, of course, a region-free Wii U, which can't happen yet).

I do recall a Greek user with a Demons Souls avatar who played with us in Tri back in the day, but he deliberately had an American Wii.

That sounds...horrible. wtf companies make the weirdest choices some times

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

Seems stupid. I doubt there will be enough European players online to even warrant a purchase.

Maybe it has something to do with the Japanese having to pay a monthly subscription to play online? But then why can't Europe and NA play together?...