By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unrealistic pricing for old-school platformers et al.

Tagged games:

I find it really appalling that Nintendo permits itself to sell its old school platformers (et al.) at an MSRP of 59.99$ and 39.99$ for portable offerings.

Super Paper Mario: 49.99$

New Super Mario Bros. Wii: 49.99$

Kirby's Epic Yarn: 49.99$

Donkey Kong Country Returns 49.99$

NSMB 2: 39.99$

NSMB U: 59.99$

When games on WiiWare, the e-shop, steam, PSN and XBLA are offering competing products at a much more reasonable price:

Limbo: 9.99$

Trine: 9.99$

Trine 2: 14.99$

Braid: 9.99$

vvvvvv: 4.99$

Super Meat Boy: 14.99$

Bit. Trip. Beat: 9.99$

And though this isn't a platformer:

League of Legends: Free

These Nintendo games sold like mad when the Wii was at its peak, but is it reasonable to expect that trend to continue?

In the meantime the 3D landscape is rifted into realistic games and more laid-back experiences, it seems that this market is not properly understood by Nintendo.

Around the Network

If they keep selling, which they're, I find no fault in Nintendo wanting full price for these games. (40$ and 50$ really isn't that bad.)

Some of those games aren't that price anymore. Plus, there's a pretty big difference in some of those games you listed.

happydolphin said:

I find it really appalling that Nintendo permits itself to sell its old school platformers at an MSRP of 59.99$ and 39.99$ for portable offerings.

Super Paper Mario: 49.99$

New Super Mario Bros. Wii: 49.99$

Kirby's Epic Yarn: 49.99$

Donkey Kong Country Returns 49.99$

NSMB 2: 39.99$

NSMB U: 59.99$

When games on WiiWare, the e-shop, steam, PSN and XBLA are offering competing products at a much more reasonable price:

Limbo: 9.99$

Trine: 9.99$

Trine 2: 14.99$

Braid: 9.99$

vvvvvv: 4.99$

Super Meat Boy: 14.99$

Bit. Trip. Beat: 9.99$

These Nintendo games sold like mad when the Wii was at its peak, but is it reasonable to expect that trend to continue?

In the meantime the 3D landscape is rifted into realistic games and more laid-back experiences, it seems that this market is not properly understood by Nintendo.

supply and demand. people still buy the shit for that price, why the hell would you lower it?
limbo and the other stuff wouldn't sell for 40$ so what do they do? they lower it untill people buy it, and make it stay on that price untill people stop buying it and lower it again..
Don't like it, don't buy it and if they want to keep selling it they will lower it ;)

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Those PSN/XBL/e-Shop folks *wish* they could sell their games for that much.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I guess you didn't get the memo, Super Paper Mario is $19.99 and Donkey Kong Country Returns is $29.99. Kirby's Epic Yarn can be found for under $15 used. Easily.

They have much greater production values than a game like VVVVVV, not that V isn't a great game.

Braid is meh. Please don't compare it to DKCR.

Bit.trip Beat is in no way shape or form a platformer???

You shouldn't forget that most of the Nintendo games you presented take around 10-12hrs+ the first time you blast through while the time needed for some of the other games you posted is...absymal (*cough*LIMBO*cough*)

the_dengle said:
I guess you didn't get the memo, Super Paper Mario is $19.99 and Donkey Kong Country Returns is $29.99

They have much greater production values than a game like VVVVVV, not that V isn't a great game.

Braid is meh. Please don't compare it to DKCR.

Bit.trip Beat is in no way shape or form a platformer???

I think he's referring to when they first came out.

Mr Khan said:
Those PSN/XBL/e-Shop folks *wish* they could sell their games for that much.

That is totally wrong in so many different ways.

RolStoppable said:
$10 for a game like Limbo is much more expensive than $60 for NSMBU.

I agree. $10 for 3h of gameplay is much more than $60 for (depending on what one is willing to sink into the game) 15+hrs of gameplay.