By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why PS4 will dominate next gen.

Tagged games:

Who do you feel will have the better gen 8 console?

Nintendo 43 15.25%

Sony 184 65.25%

Microsoft 44 15.60%

Something else 11 3.90%

Total:282

For starters Sony has all the momentum heading into next gen, Microsoft really dropped the ball by letting Sony stick around this generation if MS played their cards right they could have left Sony in the dust. This is partially due to the fact that they relied to much on kinect to have a long lasting affect on Xbox 360 sales which only lasted for a year before the kinect really dropped off. Then thier is Nintendo which doesn't really have any momentum with their Wii U right now, of course this is just my personal opinion tell me what you think. 

Around the Network

Jeez people vote in the poll but don't leave comments.

I do think Nintendo and Sony have a good chance to win next gen. but, if Microsoft starts a price war, Sony will be in trouble. And im pretty sure they will.
Sell the 720 for 100 less just like they did with the 360 (if not more). Microsoft will lose alot of money on each unit sold, but they can take that loss. Sony has their hands tied up. I'm sure they will come out with a reasonable price and console, but Microsoft is a dirty player.

As for nintendo, this head start they are having will make all the difference down the line. Even if they only sell 5 million Wii U's a year, they will already be near to 10 million by the end of this year.

sony won't dominate-not in the usa

Microsoft invested 500 mio in kinect advertising,and though kinect doesn't work half as good as promised and has no system seller ,nothing interessting or innovative to offer and is pretty meh after 2 hours of gaming(like all casual stuff) the system is selling well-just because of massive marketing.

the xbox 3 will be much closer to peoples expectation than crappy kinect(as long as kinect 2 is not integrated-than the hardware will be pretty weak to compensate kinect 2 cost),combined with a 1 billion dollar marketing campaign the xbox should become the best seller (in the usa).

pezus said:
Nem said:

I do think Nintendo and Sony have a good chance to win next gen. but, if Microsoft starts a price war, Sony will be in trouble. And im pretty sure they will.
Sell the 720 for 100 less just like they did with the 360 (if not more). Microsoft will lose alot of money on each unit sold, but they can take that loss. Sony has their hands tied up. I'm sure they will come out with a reasonable price and console, but Microsoft is a dirty player.

As for nintendo, this head start they are having will make all the difference down the line. Even if they only sell 5 million Wii U's a year, they will already be near to 10 million by the end of this year.

MS care more about profits it seems. They're not willing to start price wars, just look at 360.

WiiU near 10m even if they only sell 5 millions a year? I see it at something like 7-8m perhaps, something that is easy to overcome if it keeps selling slowly.

Nintendo has been doing this shit for awhile now, they sell their old gaming systems alongside new ones so their sales figure is never explosive so on a side note, I don't think analysts can even predict that shit so they just talk shit all day.

Around the Network

I voted Microsoft to win but I can't see it having much difference between Sony and Microsoft. Like right now there isn't a lot to distinguish between the two consoles and they generally share close sales, Microsoft tip things in American while Sony pick up larger numbers in Europe and will inevitably get a 5m+ boost from Japan over Microsoft. In the long term Sony seem better equiped to pick up sales from the developing markets too like rest of Asia, Brazil etc too.

Just can't see PS4 and 720 really selling with much of a different split to the current PS3 / 360 sales, provided there is no crazy pricing disparity. Obviously games are a bit of a wildcard in this that we can't judge with yet - both have strong first parties that I think will excel - its the 'other' exclusives that may swing it. What is Sony get an exclusive release on next-gen consoles of the next Assassin's Creed? Maybe Microsoft could tie up timed exclusivity on Bethesdas next big game? They're the megatons E3 will give us I'm sure.

Nitendo will do okay too - I don't totally see where the Wii U 'fits' in things and I think it'll come third. But Nintendo has a huge core audience so it'll still sell great and have brilliant software - I think it's a question of if they can get the families on board like they managed with the Wii.

i think microsoft have a good chance of leading this gen if they get most of what they do right,price at launch could be vital and the services online that are provided

i do think that it will be pretty level pegging this gen with the loyalists pretty much even,these tablets,phones and pads could make us more niche than we already are

i think online services,movies,tv,old/big games library online will be essential for sales on top of the game experiences provided

emerging markets and of course a break out hit might swing it for someone in the gen lifetime but who knows

Above & Beyond

It would surprise me if anyone were to "dominate". However, I think the PS4 has a very good shot at performing well. It just depends on them not making a big mistake on any of the major points. I would give it the best odds at having the best sales rate for the generation.

Microsoft, while I expect them to do well, I don't think the 720 will win much market share outside North America. I'm expecting them to go heavy with a Kinect-like interface and I just don't believe that will catch on all over the world. Also, they really need to make some improvements to Live if they really want it to be THE new media hub for casuals.

pezus said:
Nem said:

MS care more about profits it seems. They're not willing to start price wars, just look at 360.

WiiU near 10m even if they only sell 5 millions a year? I see it at something like 7-8m perhaps, something that is easy to overcome if it keeps selling slowly.

Microsoft made sure to keep their system substancially cheaper than the PS3 this gen (50 to 100). Sony just didnt try to play the game, but im sure Microsoft would always lower the price by how much Sony would to keep beeing cheaper.

As for the Wii U, that was a pessimistic prediction by me. With Mario 3D + Mario Kart + Zelda WW by the end of the year and a slight price but, it will sell very well, and probably more than 5 millions a year, so you can pretty much expect around 10 million sold by the end of this year, while PS4 and Xbox will also to around 3 million. Especially if the rumours that the PS4 isnt going to release this year in europe are true.

Without knowing price, games, release date or pretty much anything is impossible to tell at the moment. 

But just to take a guess I personally don't see a "domination" from any company. Domination is something like N64 vs. PS1, GC and Xbox vs. PS2 or 3DS vs. Vita, this differences in numbers are really big and imo all consoles next-gen will have similar numbers. Obviously one console will have more sales than others but the difference won't be enough to be consider a "domination".

Nintendo and PC gamer