By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone who thinks the 64/cube failed due to 1st party software is...

Tagged games:

Hi Nintendo fans. I've been on here for a long time now and there are a few quite high-profile members here that think that the N64/cube failed due to the software Nintendo released for them.

Well, I'm here to share with you that that is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard in my entire life.

We know for a fact that when the playstation was released, it had barely any compelling first party software. There are a few exceptions here and there, but in general the Playstation was not a console that succeeded due to Sony's first party offerings.

The exceptions to this are Crash and Gran Turismo. However, the success of Crash can easily be attributed to the success of Playstation in general due to other factors.

Nintendo on the other hand released more AAA games during the N64 era than any other manufacturer that gen combined. With the work of its in-house studios and Rare, Nintendo carried the N64 to reasonable sales all by itself.

Now, let's look at how the casual market is doing. Today we have the WiiU and the 3DS. The WiiU and 3DS offer some casual shit just like the Wii and DS did. Where are they now. There are less offerings, but it's only the beginning of the platforms. Yet look at them, nobody fucking cares. If you think that the N64 could have been saved from its inevitable doom thanks to casual titles, you were wrong.

The Wii was not a success due to its casual offerings. The Wii was a success due to Wii Sports almost single-handedly. The Wii was a success due to its motion controls. NSMB wasn't a success for being a casual game. NSMB was a success due to being a long-desired return to the roots of mario in a time where going retro was "in".

So, when all is said and done, the N64 offered no small portion of quality and entertainment. A Wii Sports-like offering would have helped the console greatly, but that's because Wii Sports, at its prime, offered an entertainment value like no other. It has nothing to do with casual titles, those will be forgotten.

Look at the game boy line, did that survive due to casual titles? No, that mostly survived thanks to Pokemon.

This industry has much more than meets the eye, and until we find our answers, those who say otherwise than what's in this thread are blocking us from finding out what we need to realize, that there are pockets of gold in the industry, whether core (pokemon) or casual (brain age), and that Nintendo has always been notorious in finding them even when times were toughest. Let's get rid of stupid thinking and start finding answers.

Ciao

~padib

Around the Network

Well, the N64 marked the start of the period when Nintendo could no longer count on 3rd parties for their home consoles, and those loooong droughts between 1st party releases.

Huh? People actually think that? Nintendo survived those 2 gens because of first party games.

Scoobes said:
Huh? People actually think that? Nintendo survived those 2 gens because of first party games.

I'm sad to say it, but yes...

I agree with pretty much everything that you say but wonder if you kiss your mother with that mouth?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
amp316 said:
I agree with pretty much everything that you say but wonder if you kiss your mother with that mouth?

Was thinking the same thing - leave out the "idiot" bit and I totally agree (though the drought between N64 1st party releases grew tiresome, which lead many of us to the PlayStation).

Yeah, the only thing that I didn't agree with was that the Wii wasn't a success due to casual games, because Wii Sports is a casual game.  I love it, but it is what it is.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Really? You create a thread to call other people that might have a different opinion than you idiots? I hope it gets moderated.

Personally i didnt monitor the N64 enough to know what it was that failed with it. I was highly satisfied with the Saturn and PSone to give it a second thought.

I thought they were regarded as great consoles in terms of games available on them.

This is one of those times when the lack of a definition for "casual" really hurts. Not casual, but Pokemon? Not casual, but NSMB? Not casual, but Wii Sports?

If those games aren't casual, I don't know what is.

His general point is also wrong, though. SMB4 would've outsold SM64. Some of the decline is attributable to third parties, but the rest is because Nintendo lowered its own standards as well. Probably mostly third parties, though.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

hah, grumpydolphin.

Seriously, though, I don't know if I've ever seen that sentiment. Usually it's Nintendo non-fans blaming Nintendo for losing third-party support and Nintendo fans blaming third-parties for not supporting Nintendo. I'm not a platformer fan, so most Nintendo developed titles don't appeal to me, but it's pretty obvious that first-party games are what keeps Nintendo afloat.

Though I will say that if Nintendo were to release a device at the same power levels as Sony and Microsoft that had all the same third-party offerings then I believe Nintendo first-party sales would drop a fair amount from their usually incredibly high sales figures.