By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Uncharted the most successful Naughty Dog franchise? Maybe not...

Tagged games:

* Aldro will kill me because this thread *

Hello dudes.

I'm ethomaz and I'm here to talk about Naughty Dog - one of [of the] most successful developer this generation. They created the fantastic and universally acclaimed Uncharted franchise.

So in this everybody knows Naughty Dog but what nobody knows is that Uncharted is not the biggest franchise created by them.

What?

I'm talking abou sales. The Uncharted is the second most sucessful franchise in sales terms created by Naughty Dog.

Which other Naughty Dog's franchise sold more than Epic Uncharted?

Crash Bandicoot

This franchise for the original PlayStation did incredibles numbers even better than big three Uncharted.

Crash Bandicoot (1996): 6.82 million *
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (1997): 5.17 million *
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (1998): 7.13 million *

Crash Bandicoot's big three: 19.12 million *

* That's are not the lifetime sales just the latest Sony report about them *

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2007): 4.52 million
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009): 6.08 million
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (2011): 5.60 million

Uncharted's big three: 16.2 million

I know. I know. Uncharted is still selling... and selling really great (deserves that sales too) but for now Crash Bandicoot still is the BIGEST Naughty Dog's franchise.

Can Uncharted surpass Crash Bandicoot? Maybe... eventually.

But I just want to show to all of us how AMAZING Naughty Dog was before Uncharted... 15 years ago.

Have a nice night.

Around the Network

Thought that was pretty much common knowledge. I think the Uncharted series has probably peaked. Naughty Dog doesn't usually stick with one franchise for more than a generation, so they'll probably move on and focus on the last of us or whatever is next.

How many Uncharted games have been shipped?

Also, Sony need to get Crash back. Perfect mascot.

Carl2291 said:

Also, Sony need to get Crash back. Perfect mascot.

back in April the announced 17.3 million shipped. whether or not that includes Golden Abyss, i dont know.

but regardless, 9 months later, Vgchartz has all 4 games at 17.1. so its pretty clear the series is undertracked.

and if that shipped figure didnt include golden abyss, its even more way undertracked.

Carl2291 said:

The lastest report I have is 17.32 million shipped as of April 12, 2012... the lastest Crash repost I have is 40 million shipped as of October 23, 2007.

Around the Network

Crash was on a larger install base, to be fair, and he had the advantage of being perceived as one of PlayStation's two mascots, the other being Spyro.

Drake has a lot more competition for that "mascot" title.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

killerzX said:

and if that shipped figure didnt include golden abyss, its even more way undertracked.

The Golden Abyss is included... well at least in the new I read.

@ ethomas. It was announced back in April that Uncharted had moved 17.8mil units. By now, after the Blck friday and xmas sales im sure the Franchise is sitting on or nearing 20mil. Regardless, I think UC is their biggest/ most succesful franchise.

Colocho said:
@ ethomas. It was announced back in April that Uncharted had moved 17.8mil units. By now, after the Blck friday and xmas sales im sure the Franchise is sitting on or nearing 20mil. Regardless, I think UC is their biggest/ most succesful franchise.

17.32 million in April... there is another report from Sony?

I just used the big main games from these franchises... if you get shipped numbers then Crash shipped 40 million as of October 23, 2007. The problem here is the ND just created the first three games.

And it is to note that the Crash games had a 1-year development cycle. Even more impressive.