By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wind Waker Speedrun World Record Broken by Cosmowright: 4:37:24

Tagged games:

http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright/b/353677333

Cosmowright, founder of SpeedRunsLive, has just broken the Wind Waker any% world record with a time of 4:37:24 in a single run. The glitches and speed tricks in the dungeons are definitely worth seeing. There's also hardly any sailing due to the glitches: the time is pretty much all action besides cutscenes.

Skip to 2.01.21 for run start, and 2.05.24 for gameplay start. The timing splits on the left hand side recorded how far ahead of his personal best he was at a particular point.

It's definitely worth taking the time to watch, or you can just skip through to the exciting dungeons (I recommend Forbidden Woods and Earth Temple, plus any of the "superswim" segments.

Cosmo streams WW most nights at http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright , and next week he'll be at Awesome Games Done Quick charity speedrunning marathon with a week of nonstop games played by the current best at each. I'll be watching Siglemic, SM64 120-star WR holder, try to get sub-1:43.

Around the Network

shouldn't using glitches disqualify a speedrun? doesn't seem right...

gergroy said:
shouldn't using glitches disqualify a speedrun? doesn't seem right...

No, because they are part of the game's code as is. And it just means Link goes through a few walls using the Deku Leaf or swims insanely fast across the map, not anything really broken. Also for entertainment value on streaming they are difficult, risky and rewarding. There can be different categores for speedruns, (example: Ocarina no skip glitches), but the most prestigious category for WW right now is "any%" using this route.

I always wanted to see someone who can skip the seal on Hyrule, although from what I understand it's impossible atm. I also want to see a TAS for this game, a TAS could easily be below 4 hours.

Nintendo and PC gamer

That's extremely long for a speed run, must be a long game.

Around the Network

I say good job to him but i feel that using glitches to get through the game quickly to beat the world record is wrong but that is just me. It would have been awesome if he could get through the game in that time without using the glitches

brendude13 said:
That's extremely long for a speed run, must be a long game.

There aren't many glitches in the game so the ones who speedrun WW have to do the whole game with some "minor" skips here and there. It's not like some speedruns in OoT where you can skip half of the temples...

This is actually kinda short compare to some other games, the longest one I can think of is Paper Mario for the GC, that one is like 7 hours or something.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Hawkeyejonjon said:
I say good job to him but i feel that using glitches to get through the game quickly to beat the world record is wrong but that is just me. It would have been awesome if he could get through the game in that time without using the glitches

If you actually had to sail everywhere and do every room normally it'd be 8+ hours and incredibly boring. While I'm sure it's possible, Cosmo earns his living from streaming and what people want to watch is any%, and he is able to do multiple runs in a night.

If I didn't use the word glitch would it make you feel better? I mean what if he just skipped a few platforms in a room by using the Deku Leaf in an unintended way. Would that be allowed in your hypothetical run?

The longest games are JRPGs: Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, X, Skies of Arcadia, Baiten Kaitos at about 8-10 hours. Which is not doable repeatedly in one sitting, so you'll get a very unoptimised attempt. Cosmo is within 2.5 minutes of what is possible on a 4 hour run, and he does so through being able to make 10 or more run attempts in a night.

Watching his Super Monkey Ball speedrun made me want to vomit. I know how difficult that game is, and seeing him breeze through it so perfectly made me sick to my goddamn stomach.

To my goddamn stomach.

Soleron said:
Hawkeyejonjon said:

The longest games are JRPGs: Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, X, Skies of Arcadia, Baiten Kaitos at about 8-10 hours. Which is not doable repeatedly in one sitting, so you'll get a very unoptimised attempt. Cosmo is within 2.5 minutes of what is possible on a 4 hour run, and he does so through being able to make 10 or more run attempts in a night.

Wow Skies of Arcadia is 12 hours long, I think that's the longest speedrun out there.

Nintendo and PC gamer