By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto says Pikmin 3 will be more like Pikmin 1 than 2

Tagged games:

Shigeru Miyamoto has told GamesMaster that Pikmin 3 will return to its roots in a strategy game that's more like the original than the second game in the series.

Miyamoto admitted that he didn't entirely agree with the decision to make the game less stressful for the player with Pikmin 2 which dropped the time limits that were placed on the player in the original GameCube title.

Asked if his team had to make some important decisions about the direction of Pikmin before they started development, Miyamoto said: "That's actually something that all the staff members had to debate over when we were discussing what kind of direction we should take for Pikmin 3. First of all by looking at Pikmin 1 we noticed that it wasn't a very easy game for people to play, and from time to time they had to feel some stress.

"Our main aim in Pikmin 2 was to get rid of any stress as much as possible, so that it would be very user-friendly. Well, I myself couldn't agree with that direction perfectly. That kind of nature of Pikmin 1 was exactly what I wanted to reproduce and I was actually intentionally doing so, so that Pikmin 1 could be a strategic game."

Miyamoto said that he wanted to get back to basics with Pikmin 3: "When we started creating Pikmin 3 I gathered the main members who worked on Pikmin 2 and talked about how I thought it was important to get back to the basics of Pikmin 1. Or I should say that half of my job at that time wasn't just to talk, but rather to persuade them to understand what I intended to do and to agree to my idea."

What do you think about the decision to bring Pikmin back to basics? Did you prefer Pikmin or Pikmin 2?

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/45206/pikmin-3-will-be-like-pikmin-1-miyamoto/ 

Around the Network

I think it should be good! Not long to wait anyway.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Thoughts?

I thought it was quite interesting that he mentioned returning to time limits. That was something that never actually bothered me about Pikmin 1, but a few of my friends who also had the game complained about it, so maybe it was the right decision to remove it in Pikmin 2.

I'm actually kinda hoping that caves get removed for Pikmin 3. They weren't dreadful, but they often went on for far too long and were very samey after you'd seen the first 5 or so. They also removed a lot of the wonder that Pikmin 1 had as well. I much preferred exploring the vast, beautiful outdoor worlds that Pikmin had to offer than the dank, claustrophobic caves that Pikmin 2 had.

The one thing I really can't stand in games, above all else, is time limits. I'd much rather take my own time and explore the world, rather than being forced to rush through it in order to complete it before the timer finishes, probably missing interesting and fun things to see and do. And then if you're not fast enough, you have to go through the whole thing again. -_-

This is imo, of course.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

damn I hate time limits

I want to relax when I play games

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

i don't want a 30 day limit again. :(
Just want a massive open world to explore and with gorgeous environments. :)

Bet with ninjablade:

Ninjablade wins if the next 5 multiplat on the wii u are inferior to the 360 version.

I win if one of the 5 mulitplats are on par or superior on the Wii U.

I've barely played Pikmin and didn't play Pikmin 2, but I like hard games so this sounds good. And the graphics of Pikmin 3 look somewhat groundbreaking and super-realistic. They remind me of Little Big Planet. I would like Nintendo to push in this direction with all its titles, especially Mario.

I can't even remember the first pikmin anymore.. it's been what? 10 years ago that I played it?

*don't blame me... blame alcohol

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I would seriously reconsider wanting to buy it if it had a 30-day limit like Pikmin 1. I've been thinking about giving Pikmin a chance, but i really don't like games with overarching time limits (that's also what scared me clean off of Majora's Mask, which i've never mustered the guts to play)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
I would seriously reconsider wanting to buy it if it had a 30-day limit like Pikmin 1. I've been thinking about giving Pikmin a chance, but i really don't like games with overarching time limits (that's also what scared me clean off of Majora's Mask, which i've never mustered the guts to play)

uhm.. is that for real? I don't believe you... if so I don't wanna be the one who is gonna tell him..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)