By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I cannot get into Hitman: Absolution at all. Anyone with me?

Tagged games:

Do you like the game?

It's amazing! 8 21.62%

It's good! 7 18.92%

It's okay, I guess 4 10.81%

I don't like it at all 7 18.92%

See results. 11 29.73%

Total:37

Firstly, I apologise to Jay520 for creating negativity surrounding the game

So, I bought and played Blood Money fairly recently, and it was excellent. It was its own game, and didn't try to be anything else. It was about waiting and planning, using your map, finding disguises, travelling through a large and fairly open level and trying to be discreet. I love that game.

But Absolution, dear god.

• Disguises are completely rubbish because apparently everyone has memorised the face of every single one of their coworkers and refuses to accept the possibility that they can have a NEW one.
  • I don't even know how the checkpoints work, but it's certainly not the Blood Money system of limited savegames, which was actually different.
  • There's no map so the only way to see where your enemies are is using Instinct.
  • The levels are painfully linear and some are downright cringeworthy in how much they are trying to be generic action levels (burning building/helicopter chase).
  • Several more of the levels are trying to be Splinter Cell and failing miserably because it's not that kind of game.
  • Hardly any of the levels actually involve killing anyone. The game is called Hitman, not Escapeman or Hideman.

And a bunch of other things that I can't really think of now. So am I insane, or have they completely betrayed the series and created a painful experience? Seriously, I'm maybe 20% of the way through and I cannot bear to play any more of it.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

No. I love it.

I already told you that I really like it.

Also Jay520 is just as disappointed as you are.

I can´t get into it either.. I mean I can´t play it for a full hour without a break.

The biggest issues I have with it is the point system. I know they give the chance to play however you want which works much better then in Dishonored. But if you play it executioner style you get punished. and this spoils the motivation for me.

I played the first mission and beat it pretty easily just knocking out the one guy and stealing his keycard. Then, I played it again and disguised myself as a chef and put sleeping pills in his coffee. Then, I played it again and lured the guy away from everybody else by opening the shutters and waiting for him to close them. At that point, I was hooked.

There were a few stages where it was more set piece than anything (actually just smaller chapters of bigger stages) but, for the most part, even when it's "get from point A to point B", there's a lot of room for creativity. I can't stop playing it. I haven't even beaten it. Last night, I totally forgot about the mission and tried to figure out how many ways I could fuck up this one guys bachelor party. There wasn't even an official "hit" to pull off. It's the most accessible Hitman game, ever. Anybody could just blow through the game, killing everybody and making a big mess of things. Me? I prefer to leave my guns in their holster and make everything look like an accident.

Now, I agree with you that the costume thng could use a little work. It's fine for a group of five janitors to know that you're not one of them or a staff of tightly knit doctors. When EVERY cop in New York knows that you're just a guy wearing a costume, it's ridiculous. Of course, the game does give you a moment before they realize that you aren't who you're pretending to be and it's pretty easy to sneak around in the NPC's blind spot but there were times where I know they wouldn't have figure out that it was me. Then again, if you could just don a costume and walk through the whole level, where would the challenge be?

Around the Network

i haven't even finished the tutorial before i got bored and haven't touched it since, i may get back to it once i finished Mass Effect.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Sooner or later, you'll find the game's rhythm (I hope). When that happens, you'll fall in love with it. When you make a guy piss on an electric fence, cause a guy to set himself on fire with his own hair gel, drop a light fixture on a performer, etc., you'll be fine.

Kantor said:

Firstly, I apologise to Jay520 for creating negativity surrounding the game

So, I bought and played Blood Money fairly recently, and it was excellent. It was its own game, and didn't try to be anything else. It was about waiting and planning, using your map, finding disguises, travelling through a large and fairly open level and trying to be discreet. I love that game.

But Absolution, dear god.

• Disguises are completely rubbish because apparently everyone has memorised the face of every single one of their coworkers and refuses to accept the possibility that they can have a NEW one.

While the last part of the sentence is certainly true, overall I think it makes sense. Again you need to find the right disguise, one that isn't connected with the guys you're trying to avoid.

• I don't even know how the checkpoints work, but it's certainly not the Blood Money system of limited savegames, which was actually different.

That's pretty crappy yeah. You need to find and activate them, which can be not as easy simply because the levels are mostly not linear at all. (though difficulty affects the checkpoint system)

• There's no map so the only way to see where your enemies are is using Instinct.

That makes it more difficult, since I'm not sure where to go in the bigger levels.

• The levels are painfully linear and some are downright cringeworthy in how much they are trying to be generic action levels (burning building/helicopter chase).

The helicopter "chase" and the escape from the burning building take 2 minutes each.
    I don't agree at all that the levels are linear. They are multi layered and there are several ways to get to an exit or to kill your target.

• Several more of the levels are trying to be Splinter Cell and failing miserably because it's not that kind of game.

While I play the game in Splinter Cell style (no disguise, not trying to cause any unnecessary casualties) you're hardly forced to play it that way.
  • Hardly any of the levels actually involve killing anyone. The game is called Hitman, not Escapeman or Hideman.

I know where you left off.
    Prologue level - lots of killing due to the tutorial
    King of Chinatown - short level, assassinate one target
    Terminus - no necessary killing involved
    Run For Your Life - no necessary killing involved

That's not much killing I admit, but the next level focusses on assassinating so you should keep playing at least that level.

And a bunch of other things that I can't really think of now. So am I insane, or have they completely betrayed the series and created a painful experience? Seriously, I'm maybe 20% of the way through and I cannot bear to play any more of it.

True

I think I will try to sell it on ebay

I'm not in position to give advice about the game or the series. After all, I only played Hitman 2 for no more than an hour back in high school. BUT, if Barozi says it's good, run for the hills. *runs*

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson