By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto Wants To Return To Unrealised GameCube-GBA Link Ideas With Wii U

Tagged games:

Miyamoto Wants To Return To Unrealised GameCube-GBA Link Ideas With Wii U

Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 | 14:25 GMT by Andy Green

A link to the past

A decade's worth of ideas

The GameCube-Game Boy Advance link cable is now a relic of Nintendo’s past. First shown at E3 2002, the cable was designed to connect gamers’ GBAs to the GameCube and allow them to use it as a controller.

At that E3 show, Nintendo showed off Pacman Vs., a game that could only be played with GBAs. In truth there weren’t many games that utilised the cable in this way; The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures is another game which used it to its full capacity but many games only really allowed you to unlock secrets by linking up - for example, the Character Gallery in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, when connected to Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, and the Fusion suit in Metroid Prime, connecting the game to Metroid Fusion.

This was arguably the humble beginning of asymmetric gaming for Nintendo, and now Wii U is out on the market, the company is looking at some of the unrealised ideas it had with the GameCube-Game Boy Advance link cable.

Speaking to GamesMaster, Shigeru Miyamoto spoke about how the link between the GameCube and Game Boy Advance was not easily accepted by developers but that he is now hoping to make some of his past ideas a reality with Wii U:

I think it is very likely. I cannot tell specifically what ideas I used to have at the time which might be realized this time around. But as you might recall, at one of the E3 shows several years ago we showcased a game of Pac-Man Versus, which was a really interesting game. Unfortunately however it was rather hard for everyone to own four GBAs at the same time.

Of course there’s the 3DS that can link to Wii U, we know that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has some connectivity between the two but could we soon be seeing games emerge that allow you to use Nintendo’s handheld as an additional controller? Only time will tell.

What do you think about this style of gaming? Is it something you want to see more of? Let us know your thoughts and ideas in the comments below.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/12/miyamoto_wants_to_return_to_unrealised_gamecube_gba_link_ideas_with_wii_u

Around the Network

I really like the idea of using the 3DS as a Wii U controller. A 3DS system probably wouldn't be able to stream more complex things than simple menus and such to the system anyway, so this shouldn't result in frame drops or other performance issues.

Should be more than enough for games like Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., 2D scrollers, etc.

coould be cool, but why, when you u have wiiu controler? makes little sense to me.

No. No. No.
Focus on make an explorable, vast and interconnected world with tons of secrets and hard enemies while reaching hidden difficult dungeons. All playable on the controller pro.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
coould be cool, but why, when you u have wiiu controler? makes little sense to me.

Not everyone can use Wii U controllers though.

Another great reason would be to easily be able to connect your files in 3DS games with similar Wii U games like Pokémon and Super Smash Bros. The DS did this with the Wii, but only on very few games.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
No. No. No.
Focus on make an explorable, vast and interconnected world with tons of secrets and hard enemies while reaching hidden difficult dungeons. All playable on the controller pro.

Miyamoto would say that's been done already and for a new game to exist it has to do something different.

TT

Pavolink said:
No. No. No.

Hmm. That does sound like the better plan of the two.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

Not everyone can use Wii U controllers though.

Another great reason would be to easily be able to connect your files in 3DS games with similar Wii U games like Pokémon and Super Smash Bros. The DS did this with the Wii, but only on very few games.

thanks for the info.

how about a add on that makes the wii u play DS/3DS games

I'd like to see some cool ideas with the gamepad. I don't have any interest in 3DS (or Vita-PS3) connectivity. One of the beauties of the gamepad is that it's actually a quicker display than your TV, and everyone that has a WiiU will have one. System links to me scream of latency and lack of support.