By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega Suing Level-5 For $11 Million, Says Inazuma Eleven Infringes Two Patents.

Tagged games:

Sega filed a lawsuit against Level-5 and their popular soccer RPG series, Inazuma Eleven. Yomiuri Shimbun reports the lawsuit is for 900 hundred million yen ($11 million) and to stop sales of eight Inazuma Eleven titles.

The reason for the suit is the way you control characters using the fingertip or stylus and touch screen infringes on two patents owned by Sega. Sega says the eight games in the Inazuma Eleven series sold more three million units and Level-5 owes more than 900 million in royalties. While none of the games were released in North America, Inazuma Eleven has been a huge hit for Level-5 that spun off into an anime series and manga. The patents in question and how they compare to Inazuma Eleven’s control system were not explained.

Level-5 told the Yomirui Online said they can’t comment further about the suit, but are prepared to refute Sega’s claims.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/11/sega-suing-level-5-says-inazuma-eleven-infringes-on-two-touch-screen-control-patents/

Around the Network

Mostly posted this because of the amusing picture Siliconera used. But still. Seems like an odd move.

I can't read the article. Damn firewall at work X(

But how do you patent using a stylus in a certain way?

Edit: LOL at that picture.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I can't read the article. Damn firewall at work X(

But how do you patent using a stylus in a certain way?

No idea.  Everyone is throwing ridiculous lawsuits over patents these days, it seems.

(P.S. There's nothing more in the article than what I pasted in the OP, so you're k!)

It's a sad day when Sega becomes a patent troll. They could sue every developer for Vita, 3DS or touch screen mobile platforms.

Around the Network

Nintendo should sue everyone for using platforms in their games.

I hope they win.

Because since Nintendo is getting ready to acquire Sega (source: The Financial Times), that money will go to them, making level 5 more vulnerable for another Nintendo acquisition. It will all work out perfectly.

Galaki said:
Nintendo should sue everyone for using platforms in their games.

And then Atari could sue Nintendo. Watch out baby Atari is back in the console business.

It amazes me that corporations never think about the PR nightmare that such ridiculous litigation attracts. I'm guessing the IP law in Japan is lax because over here unjustified actions in intellectual property can attract liability for abuse of process among other things.

O.o... patents on how you control a character via thr touchscreen?!