By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted: Golden Abyss was originally on PS3 plus other cool development facts

Tagged games:

The development started way before Vita had dev kits so Sony Bend started coding on PS3. This article also includes tons of interesting tidbits such as Golden Abyss's concept was started before Uncharted 2 was even released. One version of the game was even open world. Check it out! http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/181082/postmortem_sony_bend_studios_.php?page=1

Around the Network

Hinting at what's to come in the next Uncharted Vita:
"We would have liked to have more time and resources and a larger scope and more environment settings, better anti-aliasing and shadow resolution, more 3D geometry in our backgrounds and more shadow-casting lights and material variation. A more robust and dynamic object system would have been great, more "switches" for adding movement to our real-time lighting and a better streaming system would have given us more flexibility... but we did what we could in the time we had... and it gives us things to work on for our next game."

crap! its full of spoilers! so i cant read it :(

Whats why its still the best looking vita game out.

Tag

Around the Network

That was really interesting. Thanks.

I read it all yesterday, really interesting stuff

It seems clear that with more time, they could make an even better game

Munkeh111 said:
I read it all yesterday, really interesting stuff

It seems clear that with more time, they could make an even better game

They've got another 2 years to make a sequel, and they've got a lot to build on now rather than make from scratch, so I'm very confident about their next Uncharted :)

Good use of prototyping, those focus tests are things all games need. Though all that outsourcing seems like it'd add a hell of a lot of budget (35 people working on music?)

Andrespetmonkey said:

They've got another 2 years to make a sequel, and they've got a lot to build on now rather than make from scratch, so I'm very confident about their next Uncharted :)

The next Uncharted could potentially have been in development for about a year now (Golden Abyss released in Japan in December, so Bend Studio's work on it was mostly done by then). 

That combined with what you said about having a lot to build on (the engine is already there; they've got some expertise with the system), I wouldn't be surprised if we got a reveal of the game next year.  They seemed pretty proficient at developing on PSP (2006, 2007, 2009, with the 2-year gap from them developing for a new IP rather than Syphon Filter).

That said, like I've mentioned in other threads, I still wish they were developing a different Sony IP for Vita.  I think something like God of War (definitely) or Infamous (possibly) would help the system a lot more than a second Uncharted.

But you're right, a new Uncharted game from them does have a lot of potential.