By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you buy a product without knowing its specs?

Tagged games:

Yes, this is about Wii U. I'm wondering why in the world someone would buy a console without knowing what is powering it. 

What if Apple did that? What if they just released an iPad 4 and told the public to trust them that it is "better" than iPad 3? Do you think that would be fair to take advantage of fanboy loyalty like that?

Wii U is a totally new console and people deserve to know its specs before buying it. Yes it is all about the games, but the hardware can only go so far. Look at what happened to the Wii. Some people want to be well informed. I hope Nintendo release the specs of the system closer to launch. If they don't, what do they have to hide? Are the specs really that bad?

Have you pre-ordered a Wii U? If so, why? Do you not care about its innards in the slightest? Do you do the same with a computer/tablet or does Nintendo get special treatment?

Around the Network

"I'm wondering why in the world someone would buy a console without knowing what is powering it. "

i feel sorry for anyone who thinks like this

There are certain people who buy new Apple products just so they can say they have the latest Apple products. These people sicken me.

1) Consoles are already good enough to convey the developer's vision for any reasonable game. They have been since Gamecube in my opinion. So Wii U is already going to be 'good enough' to not hold back the games.

2) What matters is the resulting games, surely? If Nintendo came out with a tin of beans that played Super Mario Galaxy would you care about the bean flavour?

Specs are semi important but for console gaming they aren't the end all be all.  Sometimes even the specs / performance can be falsely reported/misrepresented. Didn't Sony give unrealistic polygon counts for the PS2?  Specs matter most when it comes to PC.

Around the Network

There are plenty of people (millions, I would argue) who buy new electronic dev---

scratch that.

I would bet you that MOST (over 50%) of all electronic device consumers do not know the exact specifications of the products they are buying (from phones to video game systems). They just don't care enough to know all of the exact details.

If I knew that talented developers would support the system, sure why the hell not.

Most people don't care about the specs,, people usually stick to certain companies because of the games not what the machine can do.

I have never ever ever ever have known the specs of my purchased consoles and still dont. neither do I care.

You said it yourself, it's all about the games.