By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - LoL - New Twisted Treeline - Thoughts?

Tagged games:

I should probably wait until the update actually drops, play TT, and make a reaction thread, but I'm just excited.  Plus, now that you can edit thread titles I can just do it retroactively  

Anyway, is anyone else really hyped about it?  Have you seen the patch notes?  Have you played the beta?  Post your comments! 

I've played Twisted Treeline a fair amount, and I have to say that I'm looking forward to the new map.  Most of my games didn't seem to have the turtling problem, but for the ones that did I'm glad they claim to have a fix.  I'm excited to check out the new jungle boss and other map features, too. 

As for the TT items, I play Poppy and I can tell you I'm interested in trying out the new stuff.  I've had a pretty standard build of Philo Stone - Trinity Force - Hextech Gunblade, but the new items seem good enough to try out.  Getting all 3 of the "builds into" GP5 items sounds pretty appealing to me.  The Pillager gives health, AD, CDR, and spell vamp -- all very tasty.  Then the Blackfire Torch gives health, mana, AP, and extra damage based on max health.  Poppy's Qs are already massive, this is going to just make it ridiculous. 

Blade of the Ruined King is definitely another one to watch out for.  AD and lifesteal and a passive magic damage and heal-on-hit, with an active that literally sucks the health out of your opponent and gives it to you?  Wow.  That's definitely another possibility.  And I'll definitely have to make sure my armor is high enough against enemies that have this item! 

There are other items, too -- check the patch noes for details. 

This patch also gives some great quality of life updates.  A couple of champs had had buggy interactions with wards -- Poppy and TF had enhanced autoattacks that did NOTHING if you tried to hit a ward with them (the autoattack portion apparently was negated).  That has been fixed.

If you know Tristana, you know about her attack range scaling by level.  She had an ability (E) that was autoattack range at level 1, but became almost worthless later on because of its painfully short range compared to her attack range.  Now it keeps up with her attack range. 

Blitzcrank and Rengar got needed nerfs.  Jayce had his %-health attack lose its non-% base damage.  Syndra got a buff. 

Phage and Trinity Force (but not Frozen Mallet) got nerfs to their slow %.  Meanwhile, FM got a "fix" (buff) to the slow duration.  Hextech Sweeper got adjusted to be cheaper (with less AP) and have a much longer reveal time on the active -- I'd say this is a big buff because AP was a small factor in this item, so being cheaper is better. 

And of course Riot's new moneymaking scheme, ward skins.  They only last a week, and if you buy two types, they will BOTH run out concurrently.  If you buy two of the same skin, it does last two weeks -- neatly torpedoing Riot's excuse that they made them temporary in order to make it holiday-only and not have out of season skins.  If that's what you wanted, just disable it till next year you bastards!  But then I'd at least get it back next year without having to pay again! 

These are the changes I thought were most notable; for the complete list, see the patch notes. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I've been playing it, and it's very fun. The items I thought would work work. Won the first two games, lost the next FOUR. Hate my teams.

Rengar is a bit OP in this map, I think.  I also got trolled pretty hard by a Jarvan in one game. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Did LoL get a halloween themed update this year? (Did it hit last week? I didn't see it.)

That was quite a beefy update. How often do the developers tweak heroes?

Not sure. I'm striking up the band tonight and checking out with my two best buds and i'll get back to ya.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

wfz said:
Did LoL get a halloween themed update this year? (Did it hit last week? I didn't see it.)

That was quite a beefy update. How often do the developers tweak heroes?

It seems to me that every few patches there will be one with a bunch of little fixes to a bunch of champs.  This was one of those (as well as the new TT et cetera). 

This update happened this morning.  I've only played TT, so I don't know if they added a Halloween theme to the Rift (or Dom) maps, but I don't think they did. 

Around the Network

I'm updating now. What is the turtling problem you are talking about? I never saw it in my matches, or I don't know what I should have been looking for.

To be honest, I would have probably preferred they make a new map instead of updating an old one. Or just have two different 3v3 maps.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
Switch - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2014/2017)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

theRepublic said:
I'm updating now. What is the turtling problem you are talking about? I never saw it in my matches, or I don't know what I should have been looking for.

To be honest, I would have probably preferred they make a new map instead of updating an old one. Or just have two different 3v3 maps.

Well, if a team was defending their inhibitor turret, they would usually find it pretty easy to do because of the choke point the walls provided unless at an overwhelming disadvantage.  And after the inhibitor went down, they could "bait" the siege minions into the nexus laser.  Additionally, some champs could also abuse the laser by pushing/pulling enemy players into it as well (Blitz, Gragas, etc.)

It happened in a small minority of TT games I played.  If anything, I think they overcorrected here -- turrets seemed to go down in seconds in some of the games I played.  I believe I played one game where, following an ace, a lane went from no turrets down to nexus turret down.  But it's a very fun map and a substantial improvement IMO.  The only thing I wonder about is whether it will be considered too "halloweeny" when we're no longer in that season. 

I do sympathize with people who wanted a separate map instead of a replacement, but I think that might have been counterproductive -- there's only so much demand for 3v3 and splitting it between two maps might have left matchmaking underpopulated in each section.  (Incidentally, that's also the only reason I can imagine for not having Draft Mode TT.) 

Final-Fan said:
theRepublic said:

Well, if a team was defending their inhibitor turret, they would usually find it pretty easy to do because of the choke point the walls provided unless at an overwhelming disadvantage.  And after the inhibitor went down, they could "bait" the siege minions into the nexus laser.  Additionally, some champs could also abuse the laser by pushing/pulling enemy players into it as well (Blitz, Gragas, etc.)

It happened in a small minority of TT games I played.  If anything, I think they overcorrected here -- turrets seemed to go down in seconds in some of the games I played.  I believe I played one game where, following an ace, a lane went from no turrets down to nexus turret down.  But it's a very fun map and a substantial improvement IMO.  The only thing I wonder about is whether it will be considered too "halloweeny" when we're no longer in that season. 

I do sympathize with people who wanted a separate map instead of a replacement, but I think that might have been counterproductive -- there's only so much demand for 3v3 and splitting it between two maps might have left matchmaking underpopulated in each section.  (Incidentally, that's also the only reason I can imagine for not having Draft Mode TT.) 

That seems like it could have been fixed an easier way.  Like push the nexus and shop farther away from each other, or decrease the range of the laser.  Change the logic of the siege minions so they will not follow into the range of the laser.

I was ok with the inhibitor turrets in TT.  The ones in SR also had the wall as a bit of a choke point.  It is more open, but those are 5v5 games.  With 3v3 games I don't mind that it is tighter quarters.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

I think the best thing about the new map is that people can't solo the big monster at lower levels anymore. It will even fuck up entire teams that try it too soon.

I played a few custom games by myself with bots today. It feels a lot different. Those pads in the jungle seem very important, and now there is only one path through the jungle in the east-west direction.

Now Playing