By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Did this generation have a better library than last generation?

Tagged games:

I'm talking about Home consoles here. The PS3+360+Wii compared to the PS2+GC+Xbox.

For me personally, this generation has been ten times better than last generation. Last generation, the only series I really loved were Grand Theft Auto, God of War, Hitman, Metal Gear Solid, Ratchet & Clank, Smash Bros, Mario Party, and maybe a few more games that I can't think of. 

But when look a this gen and my list is superior in practically every component. I get ALL of the aforementioned games plus games like Batman, Mass Effect, Portal, Red Dead Redemption, Left 4 Dead, Uncharted, Gears of War, Dead Space, Valkyria Chronicles, Wii ___, Bioshock, Borderlands, Saints Row, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, The Elder Scrolls, Killzone, Fallout, inFAMOUS, Heavy Rain, and there's still a lot more releasing. Of these games listed, they are all either new IPs or are games that have increased in quality compared to last gen.

Looking back a last generation, it seems pretty weak now. I may have thought last generation was fun back in the day, but now that I think about it, last generation wasn't even half as fun as this generation. This has been the only generation where I don't even have the time to play every great game; and I'm not talking about 'good' games, I'm talking about great games. There are so many great games that I don't even have time to play them all. There's also indie games that I didn't mention which push the advantage even further into this gen's favor. The only department that this gen has been lackluster in is with JRPGs. That's about it, everything else has improved imo.

For me, the blame of this improvement can really be blamed on the HD consoles. Because of how similar and successful these two consoles have become, developers where able to create one game that could sell across two different consoles. Both of the consoles already have very large userbases individually, but put them together, thus doubling the market, and both developers benefit greatly. This results in the tremendous amount of quality games unrivaled by any other gen imo. Fanboyism aside, PS3 owners and 360 owners really did benefit greatly by having a successful opponent and they should be thanking the opposing company. Their competition has only resulted in making gamers happy.

What do you think?

Around the Network

Hell no.

The PS2 had Team ICO games.
Square was still doing good.
There was no lame Western domination.
Gamecube will always be better than Wii.

However, if we count DS, then this one wins.

Super Mario Galaxy > any Nintendo GCN-era game too IMO.

I think actually what happened this gen though is PC + console merged into one. Back in the day, something like Half-Life 2 would not be a console, but on the PS3/360 era things like BioShock and Portal were on consoles alongside the PC version.

morenoingrato said:

Hell no.

The PS2 had Team ICO games.
Square was still doing good.
There was no lame Western domination.
Gamecube will always be better than Wii.

However, if we count DS, then this one wins.

This gen isn't over yet. Never lose hope, always B_E_L_I_E_V_E

As for the rest...meh. Western games > the rest.

There are more Halo games this generation than last generation. So yes, there are more quality games than the last generation.

Around the Network

So we're talking roughly 1999-2005 and 2006-2012?

I think the sixth generation had fewer great games, and the seventh had more great games. But I also think the great games of the sixth generation were better than those of the seventh. In other words, there would be more sixth generation games in my top 25, but there would be more seventh generation games in my top 100 overall.

I hope that makes sense.

As a big JRPG fan, I would say you're wrong.

But on pretty much every other front, you're right.

there maybe more games but less quality ones

easily

It's kinda hard to say really. I only had the Wii this gen (and a PS3 for a year and a half) and I've enjoyed a fair share of games, like Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, Uncharted, GoW III, monster Hunter Tri, and much more, but I can't named them all. Last gen I only had a GC so I missed a lot of games, specially on the PS2. 

That's why I'm choosing this gen, just by having 2 consoles (even if one was for a short time) it make me have a lot more variety of games. Although I think you should add PC, at least for software, most third party games this gen were played using my PC, so I didn't missed games like Bioshock, Portal, Borderlands, etc. 

Nintendo and PC gamer