By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge for Wii U just keeps getting better - Also list of changes!

Tagged games:

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge for Wii U just keeps getting better
By Gabriel Zamora On 19 Oct, 2012 At 09:29 AM | Categorized As ActionFeaturesNew York Comic ConSlider | With 2 Comments

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge introduces Ayane as a playable character. (Team Ninja, Nintendo)

With the release of Nintendo’s new console, the Wii U, rapidly approaching (November 18th, for those not in the know), fans interested in picking it up will no doubt want to look into what titles to purchase to complement it. While Nintendo’s launch window is absurdly long (spanning from November to March of 2013), there are over 20 great-looking titles hitting store shelves on day one. One such title, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge, is an enhanced port of Ninja Gaiden 3, released for the PS3 and Xbox 360 earlier this year. Ninja Gaiden 3 suffered from grievous design flaws, including bland enemies and levels, simplified combat mechanics and weapon options, unresponsive controls and a forced and melodramatic storyline. For an action game of Ninja Gaiden‘s caliber, the direction Team Ninja went with Ninja Gaiden 3 was utterly baffling and insulting for long-time fans, who had come to cherish the technical combat and brutal difficulty of previous titles. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge is Team Ninja’s attempt at correcting the issues that ruined the original release, and I’m pleased to report that they’ve made huge strides on that front. While there are still a few niggling technical issues with Razor’s Edge, I’d argue that it is a truer sequel to Ninja Gaiden 2 than 3.

Read more from the source: http://www.2d-x.com/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-for-wii-u-jusr-keeps-getting-better/

List of changes from Gonintendo:

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge - full rundown of new features/enhancements over 360/PS3 versions

- includes dismemberment
- this leaves enemies crippled and open to instant-kills called Obliteration Techniques.
- these dismembered enemies will try to sacrifice themselves by blowing up and taking you out with them
- obliterations are initiated with the heavy attack button near a crippled enemy
- Light attacks no longer initiate obliterations
- Steel-on-Bone has been re-implemented specifically as a grab-counter
- when enemies attempt to grab Ryu or Ayane, they will be surrounded by a red aura
- striking an enemy with a heavy attack when they’re glowing red will result in the steel-on-bone finisher
- Steel-on-bone attacks can still be chained from enemy to enemy
- Ryu’s recovery has been shortened greatly
- this makes it easier to cancel into a dodge or block
- enemies are more aggressive and some have access to new moves
- combat has been redesigned
- enemies have more stagger animations
- both playable characters now have a universal grab
- charge attacks are extremely fast
- the six weapons available to Ryu in Razor’s Edge are there right from the get-go
- these weapons are claws, scythe, dual katanas, staff, and one yet to be revealed weapon
- Karma functions as both the point/ranking system and currency
- collectible items have been reintroduced
- Golden Scarabs from the original Ninja Gaiden and Crystal Skulls from Ninja Gaiden 2 are strewn about each stage
- these can be collected for an instant Karma bonus
- use Karma currency to purchase upgrades for weapons and magic (Ninpo)
- you can also buy unique combat abilities and even in-game costumes
- “Cicada Surge” teleportation ability has been revamped
- “Four Rings” is a 360º shuriken attack that stuns enemies surrounding Ryu
- this move can be thrown into combos as well
- Ultimate Techniques can be used even when Ryu/Ayane’s weapons aren’t glowing red
- this is done by holding down and charging a heavy attack 
- Ultimate Techniques have two charge levels once again
- Ninpo is still earned through combat and can keep your Ninpo charge between encounters
- Bosses have life gauges now
- Ayane has her own missions, weapons, ability upgrades and costumes
- one mission takes place in Paris, France, 
- you'll be running errands for Mizuki McCloud and the Japanese Special Defense Forces
- weapons include a kodaichi (short katana) and explosive kunai from Sigma 2
- there are also Obliteration Techniques and steel-on-bone attacks
- Ayane's moves are quick but hard to chain due to their short range
- Ayane possesses her “Raging Mountain God” Ninpo as well
- this spell has three levels, with each one increasing its damage and range
- Ryu is transported to an ethereal mental arena when the “Grip” gets ahold
- when in this state, Ryu’s health will deplete rapidly
- the game will throw waves of enemies at you
- every enemy killed restores some of Ryu’s health
- there was less slowdown in the most current demo build when compared to the 360/PS3 release
- loading times are still quite long

dang, that's a lot of changes O_O; glad it's going to be the first game I play on the Wii U lol.

Around the Network

Sounds like a completely different game.

It'll make my Christmas shortlist likely, next to Epic Mickey 2

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

So, a 3/10 game is now a 6/10? :p

That's a lot of changes indeed, but I still have my doubts about this one. Razor's Edge turning out as a great game would be nothing short of a miracle considering all the flaws of the original.

So let me get this straight, of all the high quality games out for wiiu release, people actually are considering picking up this turd? At least get Arkham City. This game is proven to be low quality and I doubt 8 months will make it much better.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network

I just need to know 1 thing:

is the whole game playable with Ayane??? She's my dreamgirl.

Turkish said:

I think she has her own levels.

Anyone knows what they are doing with the touch screen?

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Turkish said:

I read that you can do chapter challenge with both Ryu and Ayane. So I think so. Or maybe not. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

JGarret said:
So, a 3/10 game is now a 6/10? :p

Exactly my thoughts

"Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge for Wii U just keeps getting less bad"

Fixed

leatherhat said:
Turkish said:

I read that you can do chapter challenge with both Ryu and Ayane. So I think so. Or maybe not. 

I really hope so man. I love Ayane so much.