By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does the failure of your unfavorable company make you happy? Why?

Tagged games:

How (un)successful do you want your unfavorable company to be?

I want them obliterated! 36 33.03%

Not obliterated; just les... 41 37.61%

Just not extrememly more ... 15 13.76%

I don't care how successful they are. 17 15.60%

Total:109

I've been flowing around the internet lately, mainly on YouTube and VGChartz, and it seems like a lot of gamers are rejoiced when their least favorite comapny has some sort of trouble. Now, I know this is nothing new; it's no surprise that a lot of gamers want to see the demise of all companies they don't like. What's surprised me lately is a lot of them aren't ashamed of their wishes. Normally, these people would secretly want to see certain companies fail, but they would never openly admit it. Some probably didn't even know they had those feelings; their hatred was hidden within their subconscious. And if they did openly admit they're true feelings, it was clear that they were the type of person who just wanted to rile people up for their own amusement.

But lately, I've noticed a lot of seemingly reasonbale and peaceful people openly admit that they want to see other companies fail. They weren't embarassed or ashamed, most were proud of their feelings. A lot of them  even tried to rationalize their feelings claiming that their feelings were natural. They said it was 'human nature', and that everyone should want to see the failure of the competitors of their favorite companies. This mentality shocked me. I don't see how it's human nature to want anything to go through misery if it doesn't improve your life in some way. That's just some form of hate. And these people weren't just trying to evoke a reaction; they genuinely had a inner desire to see certain companies fail, just because they competed with their favorite companies.

This hate wasn't based on gaming. Another company's failure would not increase their fun or entertainment; it wouldn't make their life better in any way. No, this wasn't based on gaming. To want to see the destruction of a company just becaue they compete with your favorite company...that's something else. I'm not sure what's the basis for this hate. Maybe some of you VGCharters have experience with this? Perhaps, some of you have a mentality similar to the people I've described? Do you feel happy when your unfavorable company fails? If so, what is your explanation for it? In what way does their failure help you?

Around the Network

I'd rather everyone were successful. My dread is that we end up with only 1 or 2 console companies neither of which has any focus on traditional games.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Not sure if this will bother anyone here directly, but if so, tough.

I think that people who get a real rush out of seeing a video game and/or electronics company doing bad really need to re-evaluate what they find important in life.

With that said, fuck em all. I just want my JRPGS!

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

spurgeonryan said:
I base my hate back with where it all started. PS vs N64. I was a teenager and constantly enraged when the N64 did not get as many games reviewed or when its sales were low. Sony got games that the N64 should have but devs said the cartridge and not the disc held them back. If only Nintendo worked with Sony,, I said back then.

Now it is in my blood to rejoice when another company hits a wall. I have uncontrollable issues just like Dexter. Except with video game companies that are not Nintendo crashing.

I think that was the time when I last really gave a shit. I remember arguing with everyone about how much better my N64 and it's games were then the "shitty" PS1 titles.

Then I got a PS1 and stopped giving a shit and still enjoyed MK64, 1080 Snowboarding, Smash and Goldeneye while getting my big fix of JRPGs on the PS1.

It also really was those carts holding things back. Ever played Resident Evil 2 on N64? Ughhh... those FMVs looked god awful, even with the expansion pack. Nothing could cover up that amount of ugly.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I have openly stated my feelings against Sony, but not for the reasons most assume. Simply put, I cant stand PS3 fan fanatics. Every multiconsole forum on the internet is rife with near religious reverence to Sony/PS3, despite what real world statistics/numbers tell us.

So when Sony makes a mistake, it brings me pleasure not that the company is failing, but it puts those fanatics in their place. That their snappy comebacks and Xbox venom get brought up short when Sony closes a studio or posts a quarterly loss.

"If" Sony goes the Sega route in gaming, which I myself very much doubt, I always wonder what those Sony fanatics will say then. Where will be the RROD, Xbot, 360 has no exclusives smugness then? The internet will be a much better place. But for now, I am content with the day or two of their silence that gets bought when bad Sony news comes out.

But to answer your question, it brings me pleasure in general when cocky and smug people get whats coming to them. It helps me with the satisfaction that the gaming internet will be a better place for the rest of gamers.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Some fanboys make it funny to see them suffering.

I do get a guilty pleasure hearing about my least favourite company and any troubles they may have.

I personally don't want to see any of the "big three" fail. More competition breeds a better gaming environment for everyone. While I have to admit that I found some of Sony's stumbles a bit amusing, I don't want to see them go belly up. The console wars are kind of like professional sports. I always cheer for the Bears to beat the Packers (and hope they do), but the NFL wouldn't be as successful or the same without those darned cheeseheads.  On the other hand, if the Miami Heat disappeared from the face of the planet I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Thankfully, gaming doesn't have a Miami Heat.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

It's a sexual turn-on for me when I see Sony or Nintys share price fall. Even thinking about it is making me aroused... *sets pillow on lap to hide erection*

sales2099 said:

I have openly stated my feelings against Sony, but not for the reasons most assume. Simply put, I cant stand PS3 fan fanatics. 1,) Every multiconsole forum on the internet is rife with near religious reverence to Sony/PS3, despite what real world statistics/numbers tell us.

So when Sony makes a mistake, it brings me pleasure not that the company is failing, but it puts those fanatics in their place. That their snappy comebacks and Xbox venom get brought up short when Sony closes a studio or posts a quarterly loss.

"If" Sony goes the Sega route in gaming, which I myself very much doubt, I always wonder what those Sony fanatics will say then. Where will be the RROD, Xbot, 360 has no exclusives smugness then? The internet will be a much better place. But for now, I am content with the day or two of their silence that gets bought when bad Sony news comes out.

But to answer your question, it brings me pleasure in general when cocky and smug people get whats coming to them. It helps me with the satisfaction that the gaming internet will be a better place for the rest of gamers.

I knew you'd show up. Anyway, few comments

1st bolded: Why does it upset you that the internet does not mirror the real world? Why do you care what the internet thinks? So a small group of the world favors a relatively niche product...so what?

Also, if you had a problem with the internet and the real world not matching, then you should really be talking to both PS3 fans AND 360 fans. Because as you can see, Nintendo has won this generation by a MUCH larger margin than the 360 beat the PS3. And Nintendo's internet presence is MUCH smaller than the 360's. Logically you should be putting PS360 fans in their place by reminding them that Nintendo is beast. 

So clearly, it's not just you wanting the the internet to match the real world, you make your post based off of your own subjective tastes. That's way you promot XBOX WAAYY more than you promote Nintendo.

2nd bolded: I don't think that's the case. How has Sony fans been actingg more smug than any other fan. From my perspective, the percentage 'smugness' is pretty much even from all fanbases; it's just your biases that change what you see. You're more likely to notice a cocky Sony fan than you will a cocky Xbox fan, for example. But of course, I could be bias myself, so I can't say for sure.