By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will the Wii U, PS4, and NextBox all join to function as one mega install base for third-party developers?

Tagged games:

This generation is home to the largest installbase that developers have ever had access to. Past generations have always included just one console achieving major marketshare, therefore, developers had only one major console to sell to. Look at this generation and it's much different. All three consoles sold major numbers, and developers have a super installbase. Unfortunately, the Wii is often ignored when most developers decide which platforms to release their games on. But the PS3 and 360 have still proved to be a great oppurtunity for developers.

The PS3 & 360 may not be anything new individually, but collectively, they give third parties an extremely large amount of potential customers for their products. Because they're so similar in power, developers can make one game and can easily & efficiently release it across the PS3 and the 360 for potential doubled that of a single console. Some even believe that Microsoft and Sony actually complemented each other as the opposing console stimulated releasing games on the HD installbase, thus improving them both. Some even say Microsoft and Sony saved each other from being run out of business by Nintendo. Is that true? who knows?

But next generation, Nintendo wants the Wii U to become a platform for third-parties too . They've made it quite clear that third-parties are a major priority, and many third-parties have already invested in the WIi U. The question is: Will the Wii U successfully join unite the PS4 and the 720 to form one Mega installbase? And if so, can we expect developers to have an even larger installbase than this generation?

Around the Network

Nintendos role in the multiplat race completely depends on how powerful their console is comparatively to the next gen Playstation and Xbox. We know the online wont be on par and Nintendo isnt trying to compete with that. I doubt Nintendo wants to hear the console owners complaining about games being dumbed down or not being added at all because they are struggling to meet third party requirements. Epic is going to have pretty big requirements as well. I dont think Nintendo wants to be considered the "Crystal Chronicles" console again with Square Enix either. 

It really depends on the power of the wiiu vs the power of ps4/nextbox and how well the consoles do in terms of sales.

Depending on ease of porting, 3rd party games will likely see a release on all 3 consoles at first with a watered down port for the wii cutting down on lighting, anti aliasing, textures etc, if those ports don't sell well it could be another wii situation where few 3rd party developers put their best work on the wiiu

Corey said:
It really depends on the power of the wiiu vs the power of ps4/nextbox and how well the consoles do in terms of sales.

Depending on ease of porting, 3rd party games will likely see a release on all 3 consoles at first with a watered down port for the wii cutting down on lighting, anti aliasing, textures etc, if those ports don't sell well it could be another wii situation where few 3rd party developers put their best work on the wiiu

Do you think that developers may be so focused on graphics next gen that even the Wii U won't be powerful enough to run them?

Jay520 said:
Corey said:

Do you think that developers may be so focused on graphics next gen that even the Wii U won't be powerful enough to run them?

I mean if they are that concerned will the ps4 and 720 even be enough. 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Nintendos role in the multiplat race completely depends on how powerful their console is comparatively to the next gen Playstation and Xbox. We know the online wont be on par and Nintendo isnt trying to compete with that. I doubt Nintendo wants to hear the console owners complaining about games being dumbed down or not being added at all because they are struggling to meet third party requirements. Epic is going to have pretty big requirements as well. I dont think Nintendo wants to be considered the "Crystal Chronicles" console again with Square Enix either. 

I think you're grossly underestimating what the Miiverse does.  Miiverse is going to attempt to disrupt online in the same way the Wii remote disrupted control systems.  Its going to be completely different from what PSN and Live do, and will probably end up being the major market differentiator between Nintendo and the other two.  To say that Nintendo isn't competing online this gen is a gross mistatement.  Online is the very battleground Nintendo has chosen this generation.

Check out my Youtube Let's Play channel here.

This is a very good thread.

"Will the Wii U successfully join unite the PS4 and the 720 to form one Mega installbase? And if so, can we expect developers to have an even larger installbase than this generation?"

My answer to that is yes (in faith). I will even put money on the table. IP games, console power are the least things I am worried about. We can all pretty much agree technical power wont be as drastic as before.

I just need to know how their online plans looks like. Anyone care to explain how their online functionality works because I am a bit confused about how Miiuniverse works. Why is it so unique compare to Live and PSN?

Yes, WiiU will get all the 3rd party games as PS720. Mostly because PS4 won't be THAT much more powerful than WiiU (you can read the answer to that in my sig), which means games ported to WiiU won't be gimped version.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
Yes, WiiU will get all the 3rd party games as PS720. Mostly because PS4 won't be THAT much more powerful than WiiU (you can read the answer to that in my sig), which means games ported to WiiU won't be gimped version.

I agree to the sig post you have. But what about Nintendo Network? We can say Call of Duty carried xbox 360 and Ps3.

KeptoKnight said:
DanneSandin said:

I agree to the sig post you have. But what about Nintendo Network? We can say Call of Duty carried xbox 360 and Ps3.

Well, Nintendo doesn't need CoD to carry them, but that's not to say that Nintendos online services will be lacking. Quite the contrary; Miiverse seems like a very compelling feature, as do NintendoTVii. TVii really seems to be a superior experience than what either PS360 can offer right now. As for how MicroSony will counter it, who knows?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.