By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Even Square Enix Admits The PlayStation Era Was The ‘Golden Age’

Tagged games:

If they believe that those games are the good ones then everything makes sense.

Around the Network

Of course it was the golden era.  And it is a long dead era.

Console rpgs or j rpgs, however you wanna call them have seriously run out of steam, original scenarios, ideas and battle innovations.

Everything they had was done over again and again and again. Similar story patterns and battle systems were used to death.

In all seriousness what else is there that tried something new this gen apart from FF XIII and Demon's Souls ?

And all those ridiculous wannabe analists claiming modern FF games are failures cause they can't do 9 mil in sales like VII did 15 YEARS AGO, DURING THE GOLDEN FREAKING AGE !

Those times have passed and most people are talking out of their ass.

They should rename the Modern Age into ''The Dark Age''.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Its not about games being good or not, thats irrelevant. Its simply about the most commercial success and exposure they had. FF7 blew away any prior game in the series in terms of actually getting in peoples hands and getting the name Final Fantasy out there to the general public. No other game before had anywhere near the marketing campaign. That doesnt even count the other Square games that might not have even been localized in the prior gen. You couldnt walk into a game store without seeing a Square game. I miss those days

The SNES was the real golden age of JRPGs imo

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
Metrium said:

How is this not trolling?

And I don't see how XI and XII should fit in the Golden Age as they definitely stand out from 7-10-2.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

1999-2001 they dished out 3 good and very different FF games, do not see why they can not do this anymore.

Modern Era can suck my dick.

So much quality coming from Old School and Golden Age.

Metrium said:

Nice. I like the "feminine age," or the "estrogen age," or the "anime age of falling behind the west."

Farsala said:
1999-2001 they dished out 3 good and very different FF games, do not see why they can not do this anymore.

I can't even give this answer outside of Square just not knowing the PS3/360 architechture and the hurdles of next generation developemnt.

The answer is most certainly not budget as VIII-X each cost tens of millions and IX was over $40 million!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.