By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's Play: Pokemon Yellow - Nuzlocke Run

Tagged games:

Who should I face first, Koga or Sabrina?

Koga 19 67.86%

Sabrina 2 7.14%

Blaine 3 10.71%

I Dunno 1 3.57%

Total:25

Alright, people expressed some interest in this, so here it goes.

Let's Play a Nuzlocke Run of Pokemon Yellow!

The Rules I'll be following are simple. It will be a regular game of Pokemon except

1. Only the first Pokemon in an area can be captured.

2. All Pokemon captured received a Nickname.

3. Fainting = Permadeath, ala Fire Emblem

For more info on Nuzlocke runs, visit here.

Let's do the intro.

Blah blah blah, my name is Salnax, your grandson's name is Blue, etc, etc.

Best part of the game. I like to imagine I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei.

Anyhow, I grab a Potion from my PC, kiss my mama goodbye, and get ready to head out into the wild!

Wait a minute...

Oh snap!

Fortunately, the professor catches the little mouse thing before I anyone gets hurt. Anyhow, it's time for me to get a Pokemon!

I should have named you "Asshat" again.

Anyhow, it turns out that the kind Professor has another Pokemon to give me: a Pikachu named Rol!

Time to get started on my journ-

Now that asshole wants to fight me? C'mon!

Round 1: Fight!

He sends out a level 5 Eevee. I send out Rol the Pikachu. I named Rol Rol because Rol strikes me as a grumpy kind of mouse. Anyway, I spam Thundershock a couple of times and the enemy goes down. No problemo.

Next round will be harder.

Rol levels up and Blue walks out! Speaking of out...

Oh Rol, you're such a crazy guy!

Anyhow, that's enough for now. Tune in next time to see the adventure begin and to see who joins our time first!

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

Lol, now to search for that other one...

EDIT: OP says Pokemon Sapphire. xD

"Let's Play a Nuzlocke Run of Pokemon Sapphire!"

Might wanna edit that? :P

Oh, and: Tagged!

On Pikachu:
Pikachu is possibly the wordst starter Pokemon in any of the main games. This is not apparent at first, but Pikachu ultimately is the only starting Pokemon to never evolve. This means its stats, which start only slightly above those of the other G1 starters, NEVER get better, except for leveling up. Therefore, at a glance, Pikachu is nearly useless after a little while.

That said, Pikachu does have its uses. For one thing, it's got some nice Speed, on par with Ponyta or Abra, and higher than all of the other starter mons with the exception of a fully evolved Charizard. For another, Pikachu is a pure Electric Pokemon, a great typing in Generation one. It's only true weakness is ground, and it is useful against Flying, Water, and other Electric Pokemon. Incidentally, Flying and Water are two of the game's most common types.

Meanwhile, Pikachu has a number of useful moves. It starts off knowing Thundershock, which can take care of anything up until the first gym. It quickly learns Thunder Wave, a move that causes paralysis and cuts speed to a quarter of its regular total. Quick Attack and Slam give it some balance, and after reaching a lowly level 26, Thunderbolt is the last Electric move it will need.

This does not even begin to incorporate TMs and HMs. Pikachu can learn powerful Normal moves like Body Slam, which will paralyze and damage everything that can't be destroyed with electric attacks. Alternatively, Swift is a move with perfect accuracy. And Flash, along with illuminating caves, is great for lowering enemy accuracy.

Ultimately, Pikachu is not the easiest choice for a starter, but it is not as bad as, say, Snivy in Pokemon Black/White.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:
On Pikachu:
Pikachu is possibly the wordst starter Pokemon in any of the main games. This is not apparent at first, but Pikachu ultimately is the only starting Pokemon to never evolve. This means its stats, which start only slightly above those of the other G1 starters, NEVER get better, except for leveling up. Therefore, at a glance, Pikachu is nearly useless after a little while.

That said, Pikachu does have its uses. For one thing, it's got some nice Speed, on par with Ponyta or Abra, and higher than all of the other starter mons with the exception of a fully evolved Charizard. For another, Pikachu is a pure Electric Pokemon, a great typing in Generation one. It's only true weakness is ground, and it is useful against Flying, Water, and other Electric Pokemon. Incidentally, Flying and Water are two of the game's most common types.

Meanwhile, Pikachu has a number of useful moves. It starts off knowing Thundershock, which can take care of anything up until the first gym. It quickly learns Thunder Wave, a move that causes paralysis and cuts speed to a quarter of its regular total. Quick Attack and Slam give it some balance, and after reaching a lowly level 26, Thunderbolt is the last Electric move it will need.

This does not even begin to incorporate TMs and HMs. Pikachu can learn powerful Normal moves like Body Slam, which will paralyze and damage everything that can't be destroyed with electric attacks. Alternatively, Swift is a move with perfect accuracy. And Flash, along with illuminating caves, is great for lowering enemy accuracy.

Ultimately, Pikachu is not the easiest choice for a starter, but it is not as bad as, say, Snivy in Pokemon Black/White.

You mean Rol... the Pikachu.

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
"Let's Play a Nuzlocke Run of Pokemon Sapphire!"

Might wanna edit that? :P

Oh, and: Tagged!

Oops, fixed, and thanks!

Love and tolerate.

spurgeonryan said:
I would say just catch upp to where you were and import your old thread (mostly) here.

I was having problems with Sapphire. I'm hoping that it was a ROM problem rather than an emulator problem, and therefore that this will go well.

Love and tolerate.

NintendoPie said:
Salnax said:
On Pikachu:

You mean Rol... the Pikachu.

To be honest, I have no idea whether I named Pikachu that in his honor, in jest, or as an insult. Maybe all three?

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:

To be honest, I have no idea whether I named Pikachu that in his honor, in jest, or as an insult. Maybe all three?

Well, Pikachu has to be one of the most popular Pokemons... and Rol is really popular... let's go with that!

spurgeonryan said:
I want to be Ash! Is he in this game?

Hell yeah! Ash is even the suggested name when you choose your name.

OT: Hmm... Looks like Rol is fucked no matter what you do (since both normal and electric attacks are poor against rock/ground types). Looking forward to see a new member fill in the spot!