By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Bros 2D games Ideas!

Tagged games:

hi guys...

Any Ideas on where and how the next SMB 2D games should evolve?

I was thinking that it could have been cool to have some bonuses after completing the game with both Mario and Luigi.

The best bonus that comes in my mind could be to have more playable stages aka "The Toad and Peach" submissions.... 3 or 4 stages each that shows the battles of the two to help Mario's quest.... i mean Princess must have tried to escpae and Toad must have talked, killed and help Mario somehow instead of waiting for him in the houses!

Switch!!!

Around the Network

No more 2D Mario games, Nintendo is sucking dry this NSMB series. We're lucky they even made 3D land.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

I agree... i wasn't meaning next year but in teh future... there will be another 2D mario series.... somehow at some point -

Switch!!!

Dynamic levels and overworld screens. You know how in Mega Man X, if you beat, Launch Octopus before Sting Chameleon, Sting Chameleon's stage will be flooded? Or how beating Storm Eagle before Spark Mandrill will cause electrical outages in the latter's stage? Yeah, shit like that, but everywhere. It can be a minor thing, like an extra power-up that wouldn't have been there before if it wasn't for something the player did/didn't do in a previous stage, or it can be something more impactful, like if the player has to hit a trigger to raise the water level in order to reach a Star Coin, then the next stage, which would otherwise be a fairly standard level, would be filled with shallow water, flying Cheep-Cheeps, etc.

Alright, that's a pretty uninventive example of what I'm talking about, but I'm just spitballing here. Nintendo could definitely come up with loads of inventive ways to change up the stages. It would just require giving the Super Mario Bros. series the same amount of effort as 3D Mario or Zelda. But that would be just stupid. It's only, what, your best selling franchise of all time, right?

Level editor.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Around the Network
mysticwolf said:
No more 2D Mario games, Nintendo is sucking dry this NSMB series. We're lucky they even made 3D land.

Ideally NSMB2 should have come first, with 3D Land coming this holiday or later.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

They could make other world themes. It is always fire, or ice, or water, or swamp, etc.
They could diversify like in Mario land 2 for gameboy.

I believe a space (galaxy) world, a paper world and a machine world could diversify the gameplay options.

Dand said:

I believe a space (galaxy) world, a paper world and a machine world could diversify the gameplay options.

Wasn't there a 'space' world in Super Mario Land?  One of those earlier games that I played on my gameboy.  I remember Mario had a little spacesuit and the gravity mechanics were enhanced whenever he jumped.  And it was pretty fun, good idea!

Kresnik said:
Dand said:

Wasn't there a 'space' world in Super Mario Land?  One of those earlier games that I played on my gameboy.  I remember Mario had a little spacesuit and the gravity mechanics were enhanced whenever he jumped.  And it was pretty fun, good idea!

Yes, there was. But it had only two stages, and with a full game they could explore more options, like the mini planets from the Galaxy games.

The game that had a space world was Mario Land 2, this game had too a mini/giant world that was inside a house and everything was giant.

*cracks knuckles*

- Realistic environments. No more kiddy, blocky or colourful worlds. They are getting old. A post apocalyptic setting, for instance, would be nice for a change.

- A new and deeper story. They need to stop re-using the same old "Oh no! Bowser has kidnapped the princess!"-story. Been there, done that. It would be much more awesome if something like aliens or terrorists started threatening the earth, with Mario being humanity's last hope-

- The same old gameplay mechanics needs to be completely revamped. Simply running and jumping sideways does not offer enough variation. Preferably, I would go for a 3D world, seen from a first person perspective. That way you can see what Mario sees, feel what Mario feels and truly experience what Mario is experiencing. I mean, why hold back the realism when current hardware have made this much progress? We need to stop living in the 80's.

- New-, and better power-ups. We have already seen the ancient fireflower, and it's about time they mix things up a little. Adding guns and rockets sounds like the ideal choice here, as it fits perfectly with the setting and FPS view.

- New characters: Let's take a look at Mario for instance. He will never get rid of his kiddy image. As such it would make no sense to keep him in his current form when the series is in this desperate position to change for the better- more mature audience. He could keep his name to help push sales, but the character would need a new voice, an actual background story and a new job. Preferably as former member of a mafia gang, to give him a reason to be experienced with weapons.

(I have a feeling though that even by that point people would still call it an unimaginative remake of Super Mario Bros.)