By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - While Nintendo is killing off the Wii, Square-Enix is hoping to keep it alive for 10 years more

Tagged games:

source

Square Enix Hopes to Support Dragon Quest X For Ten Years

Major version up due every ten weeks.

Sony likes to say that it supports its hardware for ten years. Square Enix appears to be taking a similar long term approach with Dragon Quest X.

Nikkei (via Inside Gamer) reports that the game will get major version up revisions every ten weeks. Square Enix plans on offering download content for the game for around ten years, according to the paper.

Producer Yosuke Saito previously mentioned the ten week update plan at Twitter (see this story), but did not mention that download content support would continue for ten years.

As for what that download content includes, the paper does not get into specifics. It's currently known that the game will get a series of story quests.

Square Enix is aiming for mid to long term earnings expansion through this first online title for the Dragon Quest franchise, the paper reports.

Around the Network

Lol, this thread title is gold! Well done!

Anyway, this game is going to suffer a lot by being on the Wii. But Wii U got himself a pretty good big game early in its life. Last one that got a main Dragon Quest game so early in its lifetime was the... actually none.

but hang on isn't there a WiiU version of the game?

Also WiiU can play Wii games anyway.

But I agree the title thread is one of the best I seen on here in a while.

Nintendo should go back to the 20 year plan they had with the NES in Japan.

Given that its also launching for the WiiU i am not so sure that 10 year plan in possible.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Around the Network

Wii is dead. One game release is not going to change that. The only hope Square has of extending the life of the game for that period of time is to make sure the Wii U version sells well and keeps people interested. I don't know how subscription MMO's fare in Japan, but over here in the West they are floundering. Even WoW is dying off. Everything is going free-to-play just to stay alive.

Although it seems obvious, I guess it bares mentioning. SE is intending to support DQX for ten years. Not necessarily the Wii version of DQX though. That's support will end when enough people have switched to the WiiU version instead.

Once the Wii numbers are small enough, it'd even be worthwhile for them to offer a trade-up special. Trade in the Wii version for a cheap/free WiiU version (they'll make the $ back off monthly fee and off savings from shutting down Wii servers/updates).

Since no-one (not even port happy NoE!) has announced DQX for Wii we can assume only a WiiU version will be available outside Japan (if at all).

Hmm...SE should put everything they have into the WiiU version and leave the Wii (I know larger install base) to just make pure profit.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

sperrico87 said:
Wii is dead. One game release is not going to change that. The only hope Square has of extending the life of the game for that period of time is to make sure the Wii U version sells well and keeps people interested. I don't know how subscription MMO's fare in Japan, but over here in the West they are floundering. Even WoW is dying off. Everything is going free-to-play just to stay alive.

yeah wow is dying off slowly. mists of pandaria, and eventually going free 2 play will keep it above 1 million I believe until 2017-18.

sperrico87 said:

I wouldn't call the Wii dead, considering the hardware is still selling over 50K a week, nor would I say that there's only one game left to release with selling potential.

For example: Just Dance 4 will sell at least 8 million copies. 

The Wii is more alive than certain other recent platforms.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.