By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "New IP is the lifeblood of the industry"

Tagged games:

It’s widely accepted that a successor to the PlayStation 3 is getting closer and closer, but that hasn’t stopped Sony continuing to invest in new IP for the present console, as The Last of Usand Beyond: Two Souls prove. Fergal GaraSony Computer Entertainment‘s UK MD, has been explaining why the company continues to push new franchises out this far into the console’s lifespan.

“When you launch a new IP it doesn’t have to be when you’ve got a brand new console. We’ve got to keep the new IP going,” Gara says. “For me, what’s most impressive about the new IP… has been the diversity of it, the fact that it’s appealing to different consumer groups, radically different consumer groups. Take Beyond and Book of Spells, they could hardly be farther apart.”

“New IP is the lifeblood of the industry and I don’t think that is limited to a current generation cycle anyway. It’s not a conversation I’ve had but I don’t see any immediate reason why, just like Gran Turismo, you don’t go from platform to platform and keep on going,” he said in an interview with MCV.

“What we presented at E3 makes the best of our broad strength – handheld, console, motion gaming– it’s a really interesting hybrid of all the bits coming together so that’s exciting and that’s what we should do as a format holder.”

“We want to be and we are dedicated to being a broad church,” Gara asserted. “That’s what we are and that’s particularly important being fairly well on in the life cycle of the home consoles – embracing both your core audience and the people who can still come into that.”

Source

Handheld gaming was pretty much absent from the E3 conference... but anyway, I love New IP, and I love many of Sony's studios so I hope they continue to deliver, but at the same time they should keep the most successful franchises of the current gen going like Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet, as they do with Gran Turismo and God of War. 

Around the Network

Amen

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I like that they think about their customers and their variety of choices.

Truer words

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I agree with him.

I follow Sony consoles because of the IP's I love, which are plentiful.

I stay on Sony consoles because they continue to grow the library of IP's I love every generation.

Even if they 'retire' them here and there, they never seem to be gone forever (i.e. Sly Cooper), but in the meantime they can deliver something just as exciting which is brand new (LittleBigPlanet).

I don't think there's anything overly wrong with the way the other two companies do things, but the reason I always gravitate towards Sony is because of this kind of mentality.

Around the Network

Sony's willingness to experiment with new IPs is definitely something that I respect about them

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Wrong. Good games are the lifeblood of the industry.

I agree Sony. Without new IP's the gaming industry would be fucked

Level1Death said:
Wrong. Good games are the lifeblood of the industry.

You want to say Sony's new IP are not good enough?

Well theres still gamescom. They might show some Vita stuff there.

Either way give me Legend of Dragoon 2 Sony!!!