By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metroid series (possible Other M and Fusion spoilers)

Tagged games:

I just completed Fusion and was shocked to see Adam Malkovich mentioned so much. Not only that but this game was definitely the first that was more story driven and started to show the softer side of the Samus character.

Wasn't that the main complaint about Other M? How the hell did the negative reviewers not see this?

Maybe it's just that I played Fusion after Other M and can see the connections easier but it's clear to me that Nintendo always intended Samus to have a softer side.

Fusions cool btw, prob my least fav of the series and I've played them all apart from Prime2 and Hunters. I'd give it 7.5/10

Around the Network

I Think Other M was more about Voice acting than actual story. I actually replayed other M just a few months ago better absorbing the story line its bad. The Melissa thing will always be stupid though.

Other M is a decent game, cant understand why it got panned do much

imo Other M was ok, nothing special, but like you said Nintendo intended to show Samus's softer side, but I think it didn't worked so well. 

They show her as a weak character, everything is about the stupid baby metroid and not using her powers because Adam didn't allow it, she is supposed to be a strong character with a lot of self-confidence, she can defense for herself, and that's why I like the Prime series so much. 

Also, what I really like about Samus is her mystery, not knowing much about a character can be a lot better than knowing all of his/her past (if it is executed well).

Nintendo and PC gamer

I need to go back and play fusion.
Zero mission is probably my favorite metroid game, Other M was amazing to me. I really like metroid as a whole, my least being Metroid 2

Around the Network
osed125 said:

imo Other M was ok, nothing special, but like you said Nintendo intended to show Samus's softer side, but I think it didn't worked so well. 

They show her as a weak character, everything is about the stupid baby metroid and not using her powers because Adam didn't allow it, she is supposed to be a strong character with a lot of self-confidence, she can defense for herself, and that's why I like the Prime series so much. 

Also, what I really like about Samus is her mystery, not knowing much about a character can be a lot better than knowing all of his/her past (if it is executed well).

What nintendo needs to do is build off the Fusion story, and bring BACK her strong confident charchter, that way it can come off as, yes, samus WAS a softer charchter, but as time has progressed, this is who she is now. 

...does that make sense?

Samus was not portrayed as weak. She was showing that she was no longer a brat and could authority.

I played all the Metroid games out of order so basically I don't understand the story at all. It's confusing

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

I remember the girl from the Other M Commercial... Stunning.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

I remember thinking as i played through Other M that "for all the bitching about this game, no-one's complained that it's basically a ripoff of Fusion." Seriously: Other M is to Fusion what Super Metroid is to Metroid, though in a slightly more subtle way. It's still all about secret Federation experiments on Metroids (and illegal Metroid cloning), Adam Malkovich, and a space-station whose purpose is to emulate a planet from another Metroid game.

As i have said numerous times before, however, Other M's story won't be a problem for future games. All Other M does is explain the questions Metroid Fusion raised, namely about Samus' past involvement with the military, who Adam was, and how he died. Only a direct sequel to Other M would directly build on the specifics of the game's story, and given Other M's sales, it's unlikely they'll take that direction again soon.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.