By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why gamers don't buy a game because it is for another console?

Tagged games:

Would you buy a game you're a fan of if it's not on your favorite console?

Yes 108 63.16%

No 50 29.24%

See results 13 7.60%

Total:171

The reason why I'm bringing this up is because after the release of the Monster Hunter 4 trailer I saw a whole bunch of people who said to be fans of the series that they are not going buy this game  (if it eventually comes out in the U.S) just because is on the 3DS, some of them even said that Capcom betrayed their fans for leaving the Vita behind.

This is just one example but I've seen a lot people saying the same thing over some other games. Note that for this discussion I want to focus on so call fans of a specific game. We are supposed to be gamers and it's kind of sad to see fans of a series not buying a game for that stupid reason.

Imagine this hypothetical scenario, if Zelda was no longer only for a Nintendo console, and the game release on a Sony platform (but still being develop by Nintendo), I'll still buy the game because I'm a big Zelda fan and it's still being develop by Nintendo, it doesn't matter in which console it is as long as the game is still great.

I understand that some people want to have their favorite games on one console and that money can sometimes be an issue, but the point I'm trying to make is for the people that will actually start hating the game because it will be "inferior" compare to what could have been if it was release on another console.

Anyway that's my opinion, it is something I wanted to talk about for a while so feel free to give your opinions on this topic.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

Just to answer your poll:
Depends on how much I actually like the game or series. Since my favorite consoles are only the consoles I own that means I would have to buy that other console for me to be able to play that game. It's a matter of worth.

Well, I would buy Monster Hunter 4 only on Vita, because I have no 3DS and I am not planning to get one ever... I do not buy a console for a single game/single series of games...

But to answer your question:  Yeah.  If there's a game series I like, I follow it to the ends of the earth.  That's why I have Resident Evil on PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, Gamecube, Wii, and 3DS.  That's why I have Street Fighter on Snes, PS1, PS2, PS3, GBA, 3DS, 360, PSP, Dreacast, and more.  I don't let things like hardware confine me.  I play what I want to play 10 times out of 10.

Most people probably don't have all the systems. If you don't have the system a game is released on it's hard to justify the cost of an entire console just for one game.

Around the Network

I'd imagine its because they can do very little with a game if they don't have the necessary hardware.

The only reason I have an xbox 360 with a gold membership is due to Gears of War.

d21lewis said:

But to answer your question:  Yeah.  If there's a game series I like, I follow it to the ends of the earth.  That's why I have Resident Evil on PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, Gamecube, Wii, and 3DS.  That's why I have Street Fighter on Snes, PS1, PS2, PS3, GBA, 3DS, 360, PSP, Dreacast, and more.  I don't let things like hardware confine me.  I play what I want to play 10 times out of 10.

lol that guy says pretty much what I wanted to say but better

Nintendo and PC gamer

I don't like playing on a handheld, so I missed Valkyria chronicles 2, Okamiden, and the next Paper Mario.
I actually still have a psp but haven't touched it since a month after I bought it 5 years ago. The games I got with it were pretty good (Locoroco, Dexter, Wipeout) but I rather game on a big screen with surround sound.

sure i would if i would own the not so prefered system^^ but what i think very often is that some people buy exclusives only because they are exclusives and don't buy multi-plats so often even if they are as good or even better than the exclusive

that sounds stupid but i believe there are some people who think like that.