By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Does 3DS Not Sell Too Well In The West?

Tagged games:

We all know that 3DS is doing phenominal in Japan. It's even broken a few records for it's sales. But why does America not give the 3DS this love? Why aren't the sales as good as Japan's

Is it the Games, the Design, the Marketing, or even the Fact that it is made by Nintendo?

What and why do you think the 3DS is doing so well in Japan but not America?

Around the Network

And how do we think it'll do later on in it's LifeTime?

This is a great thread. I will post in spurts I think, but to start I think the first issue is they dumb down western games instead of offering what they give to the japanese.

1st big mistake. We aren't that much different, and it gives at least a good baseline. Since the games are made, it would basically cost localization. I think it should be done, but I could be wrong.

I.E. Nintendo needs to push localization of Japan-only games, whether 1st , 2nd or 3rd party. They also need to push for global launches as much as possible.

One reason I think is that Japan likes Nintendo more than America does. Another thing is that I think here in North America, people are more likely to blindly support the system with better specs and write off the other system as a failure, without even considering the systems capabilities. This means "PS Vita is better in every way, 3DS sucks because the PS Vita is so much stronger and the PSP is probably stronger too." I've seen it everywhere and lots of people in person think that, too. This group may be relatively small in comparison to the whole community of gamers, but it definitely seems more prevalent here.

I also agree that localization of games should occur more often, as well as globalized releases that it seems Luigi's Mansion will be getting. I think those promote sales, as well as special bundles and designs for the 3DS.

Once that's done, they should better focus their marketing on the younger gaming segment, and have marketing to casuals as an aside.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Alliance..

The west buys the hell out of Nintendo games. Look at Xenoblade and the last story and probably many other that I can not think of during my job interview.

We love nintendo. They just hate American gamers.... and padib.

Lol, are you seriously in a job interview atm?? You're nuts!

The western sales will pick up when big games are released...a lot of people are still enjoying their DS, eventually they will move to the 3DS
its just a matter of time and games

MDMAlliance said:
One reason I think is that Japan likes Nintendo more than America does. Another thing is that I think here in North America, people are more likely to blindly support the system with better specs and write off the other system as a failure, without even considering the systems capabilities. This means "PS Vita is better in every way, 3DS sucks because the PS Vita is so much stronger and the PSP is probably stronger too." I've seen it everywhere and lots of people in person think that, too. This group may be relatively small in comparison to the whole community of gamers, but it definitely seems more prevalent here.

I also agree that localization of games should occur more often, as well as globalized releases that it seems Luigi's Mansion will be getting. I think those promote sales, as well as special bundles and designs for the 3DS.

This can't be the case since PSVita is doing worst than 3DS in North America (and pretty much everwhere).

Signature goes here!

MDMAlliance said:
Another thing is that I think here in North America, people are more likely to blindly support the system with better specs and write off the other system as a failure, without even considering the systems capabilities. This means "PS Vita is better in every way, 3DS sucks because the PS Vita is so much stronger and the PSP is probably stronger too."

That explains why the PSP and Vita have done so well in North America.

Oh, wait.

Hardly any games have been released over here since MK7 and SM3DL

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~