Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gameplay: NSMB Wii Single Player >> Multi Player

Tagged games:

NSMB Wii, what'll it be?

Single player all the way. 19 59.38%

Multi player, just get so... 5 15.63%

2-players at most! 4 play... 1 3.13%

Bring in online multi and I'm in. 0 0%

Total:25

Well, you all probably remember me from the NSMB 2 thread I created a while ago. Now as much as that created backlash, I believe it stirred some interesting discussion. Today, I want to talk about NSMBWii

If you remember from my NSMB 2 thread, I mentioned that there were things in a game that threw me off and caused me to dislike a game despite all its great features. Well, for NSMB Wii, it was two things: 1) The introductory cutscenes and 2) the multi-player.

True story, the first time I played NSMB Wii, I played it with friends. Yes, it was fun, but it wasn't an experience I really wanted to come back to as a veteran gamer. Not only that, but the initial cutscenes had turned me off so hard, I never came back to the title.

Now, 3 years later, after much discussion with you folks, I decided to give the title another chance, but this time with two approaches in mind:

1) Single player only

2) Look beyond the "pink ponies" (see NSMB2 thread).

Well, folks, that's exactly what I did. And guess what? NSMB Wii is one of my favorite games this year. Amazing, a game that was designed for multiple players is much better enjoyed in single player mode. Hear me out, here are the advantages:

• You don't just die for nothing. The screen follows you. So it doesn't cut off the level under which you die.
  • You don't have people jumping on your head causing you to fall into holes.
  • You don't have people zooming through the level leaving you behind.
  • You can actually focus on obstacles and make it through levels without dying a million times.
  • The sheer amount of things to get and the sizes of the levels make it a mario-fest in single-player mode. A good example of this is Level 9-8. So much to get it's like jumping in a pool of gold!

All in all, I found the experience very very thrilling and exciting, and am now looking forward to the NSMB game on WiiU, even the one on the 3DS (despite what I consider a lacking in detail, I'll wait to see it in action, and will look beyond the faults if the game is as good as NSMB Wii).

Cheers friends, thanks for listening. Post your thoughts too!

Around the Network

"You don't just die for nothing. The screen follows you. So it doesn't cut off the level under which you die.
You don't have people jumping on your head causing you to fall into holes.
You don't have people zooming through the level leaving you behind.
You can actually focus on obstacles and make it through levels without dying a million times.
The sheer amount of things to get and the sizes of the levels make it a mario-fest in single-player mode. A good example of this is Level 9-8. So much to get it's like jumping in a pool of gold!"

I feel the complete opposite. All of these made the game more fun. I tried playing it single player and fell asleep (due to boredom).

They both help compliment eachother. One is more spontaneous and casual, and the other is more strategic and serious.

It is one of my favorite games ever tbh. Had a great experience beating the game both ways.

I don't think I would have touched the game at all were it not for the MP as it was an overall sub-par solo 2d mario experience just like NSMB DS.

The ability to piss off your friends and destroy friendships is too good to pass up.

they have to know whats going on, i beat the game with 2 of my friends in a weekend

Around the Network

I'm not against multiplayer being included in future games for those who want it, but I won't be touching it for one reason.

In any group of people it is likely that most would want to help each other out when necessary, but there will always be that one person who wants to be a dick. I saw it in NSMBWii's multiplayer, with someone doing their best to kill you, and in both LBP games, where I witnessed people steadfastly refusing to co-operate at moments where it was essential to do so to progress, or then there'd be those who just spend the entire level trying to grab/slap you (which offers no reward).

Fun fact, if anyone is reading this and trying to think of who that is in any group you associate with, but can't, then it's probably you!

Single player for life.

VGChartz

Yeah, I also prefer singel player in NSMB. Wii, because most of the people I know are rather unexperienced in 2d-Sidescrollers, while more experienced in the First-Peson-Shooter genre. Some Levels within the game is basically not fit for the game. I have always thought that the game is developed as a singel-player game but with an addition of multiplayer.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

Panama said:
I don't think I would have touched the game at all were it not for the MP as it was an overall sub-par solo 2d mario experience just like NSMB DS.

The ability to piss off your friends and destroy friendships is too good to pass up.

Exactly this.

Pissing off your friends is one of the greatest pleasures that gaming brings. On the other hand though: So is effective co-op play.

True friends knows how to balance the two.

I love NEW SUPER MARIO BROS WII U... whatever it will be!

Switch!!!

RolStoppable said:
The game was designed for singleplayer. There are several levels that can't be beaten without getting hit in multiplayer, that should either tell you that the game wasn't designed for multiplayer or that Nintendo's developers are awful at designing a game for multiplayer.

Both. Most of the game seems to have been made with single player in mind, but a few levels shout multi-player. The 9-8 level is undeniable. So much freedom of movement in the level, as well as the expanse of the level make it a clear multi-player level, with enough coins for absolutely everyone.

So playing that single-player was lots of fun.