By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - John Carmack: “lots of 30hz games” in the next gen

Tagged games:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/24/carmack-therell-be-lots-of-30hz-games-in-the-next-gen

Legendary game designer John Carmack has suggested that we won’t see 60 frames-per-second become a ‘standard’ next generation as some gamers are hoping.

Speaking on his twitter account and in response to a question on if he thought we’d see more 60fps games on consoles in the next generation, Carmack was quick to quash the idea of 60fps becoming a standard.

“There will still be lots of 30hz games, which I don’t think it is a good trade,” he said, reiterating his well-documented belief that a high frame rate makes for better experiences. “If TVs didn’t add lag, it would be more clear cut,” he concludes, scuppered out of going deeper on the issue by Twitter’s character limits.

This is the tweet.

Do you agree with him? And will it be because next gen consoles won't be much more powerful or because devs are just lazy?

What do you think about it?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

It's not that next gen won't have the power, and it's not that devs are lazy. The reason 30hz games will be still be around is it's smooth enough when you want to put more resources into other game elements. You trade off frames per second to get better AI/Textures/Physics/Ray-tracing/etc. I personally don't have a problem with a 30hz game so long as the rest is good. But then I used to sit in my PJ's playing Stunt Race FX on the SNES ignorant of it's abhorrent frame rate. I'm happy with anything over 24fps so long as it's consistent.

Many people here were hoping to see games at 1080p and 60fps not only for the PS4/nextbox but even with the WiiU, so hearing that from Carmack is a bit of a disappointment.

However I'm more interested in why it won't happen. If devs won't be able to do it because they put more things on screen (enemies, bigger worlds, etc.) then it's fine, but if it's a matter of hardware not being strong enough then we'll have a problem.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Eliminating screen tear and frame rate drop when there's lots going on on screen is the kpi for next gen IMO, along with various improvements in physics, graphics etc. 30fps is fine in my book as long as it's rock solid.

I wonder if 60fps will ever become the baseline for consoles. Devs will always want to put more onscreen, more detail, more things happening, higher resolution. With each succeeding generation the increase in power will largely be directed towards those elements, which will inevitably mean less resource devoted to fps.

PC will always have the superior grunt, and if consoles want to stay in the same neighbourhood visually then fps will be the first performance metric to be sacrificed.

If Carmack wants 60fps std then he might as well stick to PC for a while yet.

Has his legendary status taken any sort of hit after the not so great receoption of Rage? I guess he's still a tech guru 'cause he knows his shit when it comes to bits and bytes. But in terms of what it is to be a legendary game dev being a tech guru isn't enough. 80 Meta is a good score, but it hardly warrants legendary status to the dev.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

As long as we game on TV's sitting far away from the screen using control pads, 30fps will serve us well and because of the extra rendering time afforded by 30hz, the worlds can be more richly detailed. I use standard motion flow on my tv to give the illusion of 60hz. I know this may add a bit of lag but I'm mostly a s/p gamer so not bothered.

Around the Network

Racers, fighters, shooters should be 60 Frames/sec. Everything else is fine with 30

Been saying this for ages, 60 or 30fps is a choice the dev makes, its nothing to do with how powerful hardware is, wont change next gen, there are plenty of 60fps games this gen when its been important to the dev, more often than not, more stuff on screen is more important to the dev so there happy to run at 30.

Hopefully 1080p will be standard tho, but i expect there will still be quite a few games still 720p or somewhere in between. Plenty of blockbuster games this gen like Halo3 couldn't even achieve 720p native, so to expect nothing less than 1080p next gen is just being foolish

JEMC said:
Many people here were hoping to see games at 1080p and 60fps not only for the PS4/nextbox but even with the WiiU, so hearing that from Carmack is a bit of a disappointment.

However I'm more interested in why it won't happen. If devs won't be able to do it because they put more things on screen (enemies, bigger worlds, etc.) then it's fine, but if it's a matter of hardware not being strong enough then we'll have a problem.

60fps will only become standard when the power of the hardwar far outstrips developers capabilities to create better assets and effects, which isn't anywhere close for AAA. There are 60fps games on the PS1, there will be games that can't even maintain 30fps next gen even if it is 10x more powerful than current gen consoles.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

It all depends on the level-size or draw-distance.

Only racing simulators and fighting games should run at 60fps, 30fps is perfectly fine for everything else.

Personally, next gen I'd like to see the standard be 1080p at 30fps with realistic motion blur effects with full Vsync enabled. I hate when games run at 60fps without any motion blur because they look jarring and unnatural as the brain expects to see blur when something moves fast. One thing that bothers me about Forza/GT is that they don't have any during gameplay but do when you watch a replay, the replays always look much more realistic and easy on the eyes as the motion blur helps our brain detect the sense of speed associated with cars moving fast.

If you skipped the boring stuff; 30 fps with motion blur >>>>>>>>>> 60fps without motion blur.