By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What about Diddy Kong Racing?

Tagged games:

Rate this game

1/10 0 0%

2/10 1 1.00%

3/10 0 0%

4/10 3 3.00%

5/10 2 2.00%

6/10 3 3.00%

7/10 4 4.00%

8/10 17 17.00%

9/10 35 35.00%

10/10! 35 35.00%

Total:100

Remember this?:

It has now been 14 and a half years since everyone's favorite racer released for the Nintendo 64, developed by the exceptional developer from the UK. For the first time ever in gaming history you now had the ability to race with three different vehicles, a chance to blast a gigant octopus with a rocket and most importantly: Hear Speech! (Well, as a N64 user you just had to find that notable...) After all these years I would still say, without a doubt, that this game is just as great as any Mario Kart title out there... But despite all that, no sequel has ever been released! There was a remake released for the Nintendo DS back in 2007 (which even managed to sell over 1 million copies), again, developed by Rare despite Microsoft's acquisition. The remake had the characters Banjo and Conker removed for obvious reasons, so all that was left was characters owned by Nintendo.

Now, the topic to discuss is: Why won't Nintendo develop a sequel to this phenomenal title? The series no longer contain Rare properties,so it really shouldn't be a problem. Heck, they could even change its name to Diddy Kart if that would be necessary!

What do you think? Should Nintendo (or another developer of their/your choice) make a sequel? Would you buy it if they did? Discuss!

Around the Network

what rol said. Wouldn't it just compete with mario cart? why not release a game in a genre that they dont have dominated.

Nah, i prefer another f-zero. And sonic seems to be doing a DDK racing now.

RolStoppable said:
No need for a sequel, Nintendo already has Mario Kart. I would rather see a new F-Zero or Wave Race.

They don't have planes or hovercrafts in Mario Kart though. The gameplay is very much different, just like how you wouldn't say no to Donkey Kong Country Returns despite the success of New Super Mario Bros.

spurgeonryan said:
I think Microsoft should take advantage of their properties and do it.

Or Nintendo. They had Mario Mart last year, so why not Diddy Racing this year?

Well, the closest they've gotten so far is Banjo-Pilot. Nintendo still owns Diddy Kong, after all. And Rare seems to be incompetent of creating none-Kinect titles these days.

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
RolStoppable said:
No need for a sequel, Nintendo already has Mario Kart. I would rather see a new F-Zero or Wave Race.

They don't have planes or hovercrafts in Mario Kart though. The gameplay is very much different, just like how you wouldn't say no to Donkey Kong Country Returns despite the success of New Super Mario Bros.

is the gameplay really that different? I mean you have boosters and power ups just like mario cart. If the only difference is the vehicles i dont think thats enough. I never played didy kong racing so i dont know.

thranx said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
RolStoppable said:

is the gameplay really that different? I mean you have boosters and power ups just like mario cart. If the only difference is the vehicles i dont think thats enough. I never played didy kong racing so i dont know.

Indeed, it is. The maps are designed for planes, cars and hovercrafts in order for them to compete with each other. And there even is an adventure mode with boss battles and such.

Amazing game, too similar to MK as said though.

It comes from the days Rare was trying to outdo Nintendo R&D (now EAD), so we got Banjo-Kazooie and this and PD/Goldeneye doing what Nintendo couldn't.

I'd love to have a new Diddy Kong Racing. I think it's certainly different enough from Mario Kart to justify both being available on the same system. I could see DKR coming out for 3DS in a couple of years, after the newness of MK7 has worn off.

Like Rol, though, I'd rather have a new F-Zero.

Leave your memories and nostalgia where they belong as they will only lead to disappointment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ThbbN3o5yw

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls