By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Recommend me a laptop for gaming!

Tagged games:

I know buying a desktop will be cheaper, buying seperate parts even moreso, but I don't have space for a desk and with the added costs of a moniter, keyboard/mouse, desk, chair etc. it could probably even end up with a laptop being the cheaper option, not to mention saving me from the stress of putting a computer together. 

My budget is around £500 ($800/600 euros), I can go a little above but would obviously prefer to go a little below, the laptop has to be able to run Civilization V at medium settings smoothly. 

The best I could find was this: 

i7 - 2630m (QC @ 2ghz)

GT 540m - 1gb ded RAM

6gb RAM

This was found on ebay though, which is slightly risky to me. I don't really know many sites or shops that have good deals on laptops, so if any of you guys could help me find one or recommend some sites, I'd appreciate it :)

Update: I am 99.9% sure I'm getting this: 

- AMD QC A6-3430MX 1.7GHz (overclocks to 2.5 I think)

- 8GB RAM + 1TB HDD

HD 6520G + 7670M Dual GPU 1gb ddr3

For £570

Update 2: 0.1% chance of me changing my mind according to my last update, and I did. Specs of the laptop I got are in my sig. Very happy with it :)

Around the Network

I have an Alienware M14x and man is that thing a beast that I can still tote around. 2720 QC 2.20 Ghz, 6gb of RAM and bunch of other stuff you can look up

theman88 said:
I have an Alienware M14x and man is that thing a beast that I can still tote around. 2720 QC 2.20 Ghz, 6gb of RAM and bunch of other stuff you can look up

Way too much for me, almost double my budget

http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homelaptops/product.php?id=A1Q55EA

AMD Llano 4C + 6490M,  £429

I can't find anything Intel + discrete graphics for under £500. If it was £600 then yes but looks like AMD is your only choice. Intel integrated graphics don't play Civ V well from what I can find.

Soleron said:

I can't find anything Intel + discrete graphics for under £500. If it was £600 then yes but looks like AMD is your only choice. Intel integrated graphics don't play Civ V well from what I can find.

Thanks, this is what I'll get unless I find something better :)

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
Soleron said:

OK, looks like the 6490M gets 20fps on Civ V low settings. 

So, what you're asking for is basically impossible.

theman88 said:

Alienware = over expensive  weird looking PCs that has the same specs as ones that are third it's price. 

whoever buy's them is a tool , or just want to throw away their money.

i recommend getting a desktop, cheaper, and easier to upgrade, but i f you insist on getting on, get a 8 GB ram one not 6.

PullusPardus said:
i recommend getting a desktop, cheaper, and easier to upgrade, but i f you insist on getting on, get a 8 GB ram one not 6.

The graphics card will be a much more limiting factor than the RAM at that price.

Soleron said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Soleron said:

OK, looks like the 6490M gets 20fps on Civ V low settings. 

So, what you're asking for is basically impossible.

I just found this:

Processor AMD Quad-Core A8-3520M (1.6 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache)
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64
RAM 6 GB (1 x 2 GB, 1 x 4 GB)
Graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6620G + 7450M Dual GPU
1 GB DDR3 dedicated

For £399, which will definitely play Civ 5 on medium settings nicely, so not impossible ;) Thanks for the suggestion though, I wouldn't of found this one without the link you gave me.