By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My PS3 died :( - Any advice on getting it replaced or fixed?

Tagged games:

it finally happened, after over 4 years, over 50 games played, my launch 60GB PS3 died :'(

I'm at uni right now with my slim PS3, but I was wondering how long term are the repairs to PS3's? I don't know whether to get a new PS3 slim or just try to fix it (it would be a professional who'd fix it)

Around the Network

I fixed my 60gig myself with the heatgun trick, but it only last a few months, just broke again for the 4th time. Got a 320gig Sim last month.

After the second time you will fix it like a pro, with the exception of it working for more then 3 months....

If you do the Heat Gun trick, make sure you get Flux to place on the parts of the board you will heat.  Thats the one thing I have not done, they say thats the best way to fix it.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Too be honest, if you're out of warranty and you want one that lasts you another couple of years, I'd advice you buy a new one.

Just my 2 cents though.

Do the heat gun trick and then you buy a new ps3 after Sony have annonced a price cut at E3.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

sega4life said:

I fixed my 60gig myself with the heatgun trick, but it only last a few months, just broke again for the 4th time. Got a 320gig Sim last month.

After the second time you will fix it like a pro, with the exception of it working for more then 3 months....

If you do the Heat Gun trick, make sure you get Flux to place on the parts of the board you will heat.  Thats the one thing I have not done, they say thats the best way to fix it.

this

Millenium said:
Too be honest, if you're out of warranty and you want one that lasts you another couple of years, I'd advice you buy a new one.

Just my 2 cents though.

not this

Around the Network

you may already no this but what the hell

Keep in mind that the only way to get your old and broken PS3s data onto your new PS3 is if you "quick fix" or properly fix your old PS3 then transfer it over via ethernet cable though the settings

(you cannot just simply put your old hardrive into your new PS3 because the new PS3 will only let you use your old harddrive if you reformat it thus wiping its contents)

and obviously you cant back up the old hard dive because the PS3 is already broken (backing up the hard drive to external hard drive is only possible though the menus)

So your gonna have to fix you old ps3 no matter what you do unless you wana start from scratch, so if you get a new PS3 just use the "quick fix" i.e blowdryer, towels ectect (look up youtube vids) then transfer the shit to your new PS3 (look up youtube videos) but makesure you sync your trophys first!! also only quick fix your PS3 when you get the new PS3 because if u quick fix now then get new ps3 2 weeks later your PS3 might be 100% dead and wont work again from another quick fix

P.S cbf puncuating my shit or spelling

There's no real way to get a permanent fix other than replacing all the solder with lead.

if a professional repairs it with a decent heatgun and flux it should last about a year. you should also apply new thermal paste. after that you can do it again in another year. you can get about 2 - 3 years out of it.

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Fix it yourself, then trade it in for a new one.

That's what I did.  Gamestop is giving extra $50 for PS3s too.