By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Notch Gives $3 Million to MOJANG Employees

Tagged games:

You read it right - Instead of pocketing his sizable dividends, Markus "Notch" Persson distributed nearly 3 million dollars to fellow Mojang employees! He stated that his fellow employees (often referred to as "Mojangstas") are "a massive part of the reason Mojang is the best place on earth to work at right now." There are 25 employees working at Mojang - you see can see them all right here!

Since launch, Minecraft has generated approximately $100 million in revenue, covering the spectrum of Alpha, Beta and Full Release sales for the PC version of the game, as well as the highly popular Pocket Edition, which is currently available for Android and iOS handsets. The XBox Live Arcade version of the indie blockbuster is expected to see release this year - and if the popularity of the PC and handheld game are any indication, this figure is likely to rise dramatically.

For those of you curious what a "dividend" means in everyday terms, it is basically a form of payment made by a corporation (paid regularly, typically quarterly) to its shareholders out of its profits (or reserves). For Notch, this means "money paid to him by Mojang as a shareholder". So, Notch has taken the available dividends paid to him for the fiscal year of 2011, and distributed them among his fellow staff members, rather than take it home himself.

It is truly moving in this day and age to see such generosity from one man, especially one as successful as Notch. That a single gesture can even move a fellow co-worker to tears speaks volumes about the impact his offering has had on his teammates - perhaps, we can all look to this as an example of selfless generosity, and emulate it in kind.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/422-notch-gives-3-million-to-mojang-employees/

God damn Notch is awsome, also I hadn't realised how many people he had hired before, last time I checked it was like 12

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

How much money does this guy have!?

Andrespetmonkey said:
How much money does this guy have!?

Can you not read?

What an incredibly generous move by Notch.

When I get a new PC I will buy Minecraft just because of this.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
What an incredibly generous move by Notch.

When I get a new PC I will buy Minecraft just because of this.

i would second this, but....

... i already bought the game.

Sadly, Minecraft isnt my kind of game, but this is one of these very few purchases, were i dont regret the buy, even though i wont get much out of it.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Around the Network

$120,000 per staff member. That is badass! Notch isn't "like a boss", he is the goddamn boss. I applaud him and wish him luck in his future endeavors and hopefully Minecraft on the Xbox will be just as successful.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Another good move by Notch, what a standup guy.

Damn. I will need to buy the Android version now, just because.