By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Playstation Vita worth buying at launch?

Tagged games:

Is it?

Yes 137 41.90%

No 120 36.70%

We'll have to see 30 9.17%

See results 40 12.23%

Total:327

Source

In just a few days time the PlayStation Vita will be in warehouses and on store shelves and we're pensively staring off into the distance weighing up whether it's worth running down to our local store and picking one up at launch.

The case for buying one at release are pretty strong, having had one in the office for a while now we're convinced it an excellent bit of kit. In our PS Vita review we said Sony has managed to cram the handheld with very "Impressive technology" and created a platform that has "uncompromised control inputs". We concluded our review by saying it's "a brilliant hardcore gaming handheld".

The PlayStation Vita also has one of the better launch line-ups of all the recent console launches, and the majority of games available alongside it are reviewing very well.

In our WipeOut 2048 review we said "Wipeout leads the pack of PS Vita racers. Although, the "new modes lack imagination" the "visuals are killer and the campaign always offers new events and objectives to fulfill." We awarded the game an 8.6 and called it a "must-buy."

Our Uncharted: Golden Abyss review was equally praise-filled. We said while it's not "quite up the standard of the PS3 games in either narrative or visual stakes" it is nonetheless "a triumphant outing for Drake", and perhaps the Vita's best launch title.

Other's seem to be equally impressed with its launch line-up, as is evident in our PS Vita games review round-up. Other games such as ModNation Racers Road Trip, Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, FIFA and Hotshots Golf have all scored highly.

Sony seems to making some smart moves to entice us too; it's announced some games can be paid for once and downloaded on both the Vita and PS3, and revealed a very reasonable pricing structure for Vita games being released digitally.

We'll admit there's a few games on Vita we're itching to play, but are mulling over whether it's more prudent to hold off on buying one for a little longer.

So, we'd like to know what your Vita plans are; will you be rushing out and buying one in the coming week, and if so what game's are you interested in? Or will you be holding out for a little longer? Maybe there's a few of you that just don't care for it entirely, let us know in the comments below.

Around the Network

I would totally buy one if I had a surplus of cash lying around.

It's worth buying, the question is how many people are willing to shell that money out. I don't even wanna really say (Well people spend 500 dollars on IPAD's) because that's a completely different market, and a completely different consumer. I want Vita to be a success, I know a lot of people who want 1, but just don't have the money right now to purchase it.

Those who know nothing can understand nothing. 

Like I've said before, Vita may well be the first Playstation I buy. But I have to vote no as I'd wait for games like Battlefield first, even though WipeOut does seem very interesting. And if it sells poorly I would also wait for a price cut first.

I believe so, otherwise I wouldn't be buying it.

Around the Network

apparently so as i have now pre-ordered one...although as i never had a psp there is a good 10 titles i want even if vita never releases a single game (which is of course not true as i want about 4 of the launch titles too) so i basically have a full gens worth of buys already on the system right at launch to justify the purchase.

still...i hope it's at least a mild success. i would be disappointed if it stalls quickly after launch.

Nope totally not worth it. I had a go with one for awhile and thought it was pretty cool. I will get one eventually but your looking at around £250 to get it with a game and memory card.

For what it does I don't think it is worth anything near that. First week sales will be "alright" but after that it is going to drop in sales fast. The reality is the only people who will want to get it at that price are the hardcore gamers. We live in a totally different time now where ipads/smartphones or whatever can all play games. But the main problem is the price of the games. In UK we have to pay £35 for a new vita game. Basically same price as a ps3 game. When you put that into context i bought GTA3 for my iphone at the weekend from the appstore for 69p. Had a blast re-playing the game and it looks far better then it ever did. And the controls are actually pretty cool. Point being there are very few people now in the world outside hardcore gamers who think "i need that for the graphics!!!". Sales of Wii should show you that.

Sony need to package the game up with Uncharted, the pre-order pack and a 4gb memory card for about £150 because the way they have done it is a joke. When you get your new smartphone/mp3 player do you need to buy headphones and things like that? Nope. When you get that new tablet/phone do you need to worry about buying a memory card? nope. And so on. Those things should be included as standard. You should not even be thinking about them. That era of gaming is dead.

I'm typing on mine right now so yes. It's truly amazing and you should get it, just depends on if you have the money now or later.

JoeTheBro said:
I'm typing on mine right now so yes. It's truly amazing and you should get it, just depends on if you have the money now or later.

Well, I for one don't want to make the 3DS mistake once again. I bought it before any great game was released and later they cut 80$ of its price...

Even if I probably won't save as much as 80 bucks I'd welcome any price cut since I don't want any particular launch game anyways.

Nah. I don't like downloading games, so I'll just buy a PSP on the cheap instead!

Love and tolerate.