By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The most disappointing video game sequels?

Tagged games:

Original article

So yeah, which are the most disappointing video game sequels? Here's some of my choices:

- Metroid Prime 3 -

While offering what you would expect from a Metroid Prime sequel like new weapons, awesome bosses, new gameplay elements and a new story approach with several characters and personalities, I always had the feeling that the weak hardware kept the series from really take a step forward. Yeah sure, the new "revolutionary" motion-controls were there, but I'd much rather se them replaced by the GC controller.

- Mario Kart: Double Dash!! -

After enjoying the timeless classic Mario Kart 64 for almost half a decade my hopes for a sequel with next-generation graphics were extremely high. And once it released I was surprised to see that there was "Two freaking drivers on one kart!?!" and imagined a bright future experience with the game. But here I am about eight years later, and for me it didn't stand the test of time. Especially not when compared to other titles of the same franchise.

- Halo 2 -

The sequel to the game that had changed my view on gaming for eternity would turn out to do the same, but on a new level. The multiplayer was great all around and pretty much introduced the formula that each new Call of Duty would end up depending on. The campaign, on the other hand, was a great setback (in my opinion!) with a lot of tight-corner based combat, less open fields and near non-existing exploring, unlike its predecessor. From a lot of perspectives the campaign mode was still great though, but after playing Halo:CE I expected a lot more of just about everything that was so great about it. And let's not even get started about the ending!!

- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link -

Not much needs to be said about this one. Some great things including the magic-bar and interacting with actual people (and not just wizards and salesmen) was introduced but that was it. Luckily, the new side-scrolling approach was quickly removed and A Link to the Past got the series back on track before any notable harm was made.

Now it's your turn!

Around the Network

Turok: Evolution (best game of all time) ----------> Turok (shittest game of all time)

Not per se a sequel, but Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess just wasn't as enjoyable for me as the the 3 games precending that.

Millenium said:
Not per se a sequel, but Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess just wasn't as enjoyable for me as the the 3 games precending that.

Yeah, I can understand that. I too played Twilight Princess a lot less than WW and MM. After I got all heart pieces I stopped right away :P

Halo 2 has way better for online play and coop so no. Resistance 2 and Gears 2 are my picks.

Also thought double dash was way better than mario kart wiii at least you could play on the same kart with a friend.

Around the Network

Mirror's Edge 2. Because it's not out yet.

chocoloco said:

Halo 2 has way better for online play and coop so no. Resistance 2 and Gears 2 are my picks.

Also thought double dash was way better than mario kart wiii at least you could play on the same kart with a friend.

You can't say "no" when it's my opinion. Jeez.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
chocoloco said:

You can't say "no" when it's my fucking opinion. Jeez.

Alright I disagree, It had way more maps to play online with and no overpowered pistol. Plus it added the Arbitor to coop and online which created more variety.

chocoloco said:

Alright I disagree, It had way more maps to play online with and no overpowered pistol. Plus it added the Arbitor to coop and online which created more variety.

Well, I did say H2 outperformed H1s multiplayer.

The overall atmosphere blew it (need I say "imo"?).

Dragon Age 2:
Whilst Dragon Age Origins had some amazing old school gameplay combined with an epic story and journey, Dragon Age 2 had basic combat with little to no tactics (endless waves of enemies didn't help), poor character creation and a stream of reused art assets and levels. The whole game was uninspiring and even a good (albeit a personal) story and interesting cast of characters didn't really help matters.

Final Fantasy XIII
I won't go into details as it's already been covered in many threads. Basically, overly linear, poor cast, poorly told story, over reliance on datalog, lack of variety etc.

Deus Ex: Invisible War
Deus Ex was the greatest game of all time (as voted for by PC Gamer UK). The sequel did everything to simplify the game down for console players to the point most console players think "wtf is this?!". Still had an involving story and felt Deus Ex-like in places but small levels, overly simplified RPG elements, and some rather odd questlines (e.g. "You're responsible for the death of my wife.... but I will give you a chance to redeem yourself with this new quest!") left it an average experience.

Call of Duty 3:
Didn't realise it was a different developer. One of the worst FPS' I've ever played. Can see why they didn't bother with a PC version.