By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII-2 gets 5.4 on Gamrreview - how is that possible?

Tagged games:

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/review/49773/final-fantasy-xiii-2/

I'm astonished that a well-established website as this one could let publish such an aggressive pamphlet :(

FFXII-2 has 7 to 9 on all the other websites I checked.

Your thoughts? Do you reckon it's a fair review?

Around the Network

the reviewer themselves clearly didn't enjoy the game, and the score does fit the review quite well, maybe harsh, but it fits

I think it's unfair that the person who hated FF XIII so much was asked to review its sequel.

Sounds about right given the text of the review. Perhaps a 6 given he managed to get 5 hours of enjoyment out of it (which is essentially a CoD campaign) if he didn't want to be so harsh but I don't see anything wrong with it. Didn't Edge give it a 5?

It's better if reviewers start using the whole 1-10 scale rather than sticking to 7-10 just because the fans demand it.

mantlepiecek said:
I think it's unfair that the person who hated FF XIII so much was asked to review its sequel.

I think a lot of the potential and undecided purchasers of FFXIII-2 are those that hated the original but are Final Fantasy fans. People that loved FFXIII will buy it regardless and people who don't play Final Fantasy are unlikely to use a direct sequel as a starting point. Sounds like he's probably the best person to review the game.

Around the Network

Reading his review its quite clear why it got a low score. In most other review they find the combat to be the saving grace, where as this review just about found it enjoyable. Add in the fact that he felt the mahority of the single player is filler, it makes perfect sense he would hand it a 5-6.

Funnily enough the latter point is something i don't think reviewers point out enough. So many game narratives are spread so thin,  you realise after playing for hours that you've recieved nothing in terms of a rewarding narrative. In most cases you being thrown from location, to location, looking for some illusive object only to have the core story develop at distant intervals.

It's about as logical as getting a Madden fan to review a Fifa game, but hey an opinion is an opinion.

mantlepiecek said:

How so? He's a fan of the series in general, and Square promised that many of the things wrong with FFXIII would be fixed in the sequel. It also seems that for the first five hours or so, Square had in fact got it right and then everything went south.

The score seems a little harsh from where I'm sitting, but I don't think it seems unjustified.

The important thing to note is the little text below the score that says "Mediocre". FFXIII-2 is not a terrible game, it's simply average, with the high points being balanced out by the low points, going by the review.

I guess the reviewer didn't enjoy the game that much.

Rainbird said:
mantlepiecek said:

How so? He's a fan of the series in general, and Square promised that many of the things wrong with FFXIII would be fixed in the sequel. It also seems that for the first five hours or so, Square had in fact got it right and then everything went south.

The score seems a little harsh from where I'm sitting, but I don't think it seems unjustified.

The important thing to note is the little text below the score that says "Mediocre". FFXIII-2 is not a terrible game, it's simply average, with the high points being balanced out by the low points, going by the review

....The reviewer pretty much bashed FF XIII and many who liked it. I am not really defending the game, the choice of the reviewer was very peculiar.