By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 break 1 million sales globally next week?

Tagged games:

Will PS3 sell over 1 million in the next coming weeks

Yes, but just FFXIII-2 week 13 12.62%

Yes, but only the last week before Christmas 19 18.45%

Yes, both of the next two weeks 18 17.48%

No, sales just need to be boosted by too much 40 38.83%

See Results 13 12.62%

Total:103

If you look back into VGC data, PS3 only surpassed 1 million sales in a week once. It was the week Final Fantasy XIII launched in Japan in 2009. Without a major title released, PS3 has never broke 1 million on its own accord.

The week before FFXIII (Week ending Dec 12th 2009) PS3 sold 735k, and on the week FFXIII released it sold 1,018k.

This year, for the equivalent week, Ps3 is at 700k, which is notably less then it was for 2009. However, in 2010 there was a 29% sales jump (without final fantasy) from the week of Dec 11th to 18th. If Ps3 holds that growth rate, we should expect to see PS3 sales at 910k next week if there wasn't a Final Fantasy XIII-2 release.

So will FFXIII-2 give PS3 that extra 90k push and get it it's second million seller week?

Also for the week ending December 24th, can PS3 break 1 million on it's own? Last year it maxed out at 917k weekly, but this week PS3 sold 5% better then it did for the same week last year. If it holds that figure, then it should do 973k, without Final Fantasy. Can FFXIII-2 help give PS3 that extra 27k on the last week before christmas and give it a second (or third) million selling week?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
I think with all of your numbers and the Final Fantasy thing (That still is a monster of a franchise!) it has a really good chance. Plus isn't golden week or whatever it is called coming soon in Japan?

Unless everyone is out buying Vita's instead over there.

Golden Week is in June.

Also by my numbers, are you sure? Weekly sales are lower now then in 2009 during the week before FFXIII launched, and pre-orders in Japan are a 3rd as strong.

If anything, I think the week of the 24th is more likely. It only needs 27k, and to be logical, last year the week included the 25th, which is a holiday and lacking of sales.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Maybe that's all i have to say. You guys put to much faith in Final Fantasy being a system seller.

NobleTeam360 said:
Maybe that's all i have to say. You guys put to much faith in Final Fantasy being a system seller.

That's not a case of be a system seller... just japaneses loves special editions.

OP. No... 850-950 both weeks.

Anyway the FFXIII 1 million seller week just became 1 million seller after adjustments.... before it was 958k.

does a sequel normally boost sales by much? most people who will buy this game are those who bought the game before it

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
pezus said:
I think it will be close in any case. Later adjustments could put it over the line but I don't think the normal numbers next week will show it over 1m. I'm thinking ~950k

I remember that some of us celebrated the ps3 breaking 1m in a week way after its actual week. There was a thread about it in March I think. So maybe after the adjustments.

No,I don't expect it to get over 950k in any of the coming weeks.

Roma said:
does a sequel normally boost sales by much? most people who will buy this game are those who bought the game before it

Sequel? No, but special editions boosts.

ethomaz said:
NobleTeam360 said:

That's not a case of be a system seller... just japaneses loves special editions.

OP. No... 850-950 both weeks.

Anyway the FFXIII 1 million seller week just became 1 million seller after adjustments.... before it was 958k.

Hmm that is a nice PS3. I wish Square Enix and Sony would bring that over State side. 

Roma said:

See that's what I thought too, but take a look at the boost the 360 got because of Gears of War 3.