By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart Wii Sells 30 million! Sports Resort wants to be next. 100 million Wii Sports at some point?

Tagged games:

Do you like thiiiis game RolStoppable?

Yes 22 31.88%

No 1 1.45%

I am not Rol 31 44.93%

See results 2 2.90%

.stluser eeS 3 4.35%

other 0 0%

Maybe 0 0%

Getting it for Kwanza 3 4.35%

I do not play games. 2 2.90%

What else can I say? 3 4.35%

Total:67

Mario Kart Wii's sales are nearly all standalone, very few are due to bundling. It's only really been bundled in 2011, and it's only sold 4.5 out of the 30 million in 2011.

It's on fast track to become the third best selling game of all time - it's only 1.4 million off. So it's looking to be in position of the following titles, among others, by the end of its life

- The best selling game of all time in Europe
- The third best selling game of all time
- The second biggest game in terms of revenue on consoles,
- Roughly the seventh best selling game in Americas if you include fully-bundled games. Either 2nd, 3rd or 4th otherwise.
- The 30th best selling game of all time in Japan
- Single handedly selling more than any racing-franchise has ever done on a single machine (like for instance the 3/4 Gran Turismo games on Ps2)
- Selling more than all the 3D Zeldas combined
- By itself selling more than all the Mario games on Gamecube did combined. Or all the ones on the GBA combined. And most likely all the ones on the N64

If you add in Mario Kart DS, the two Mario Karts this generation will have sold more than any franchise did on consoles last generation.

In other news, you should change the vote to "How much do you think Mario Kart Wii will sell lifetime?", as it's a far more interesting question. It's not completely unthinkable for it to outsellf the original Super Mario. Bros, although it is unlikely.

Around the Network

$$

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

this is amazing! congrats MK!! i still have to buy this game. haven't played MK since the DS version

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Its amazing how well it keeps selling after all these years.

30M and still going strong, the best selling Mario kart game eve and I think it can go on and sell another 3M.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network

Also watch out for Super Mario galaxy, it's at 9.92M, it will easily cross the 10M next week or the next week, only needs 80K or so.

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

I have seen teens, little girls and moms buying this game. It`s no surprise the game has done so, so well. It`s just one of those titles that anyone can truly enjoy!

For me, it really was the game that made me start taking playing online seriously... and i played it almost everyday for months.

spurgeonryan said:
Nintendogamer said:
Also watch out for Super Mario galaxy, it's at 9.92M, it will easily cross the 10M next week or the next week, only needs 80K or so.

What has it been doing weekly? Wow! A long time in coming for that one as well!

I used to check on all of these weekly. Galaxy 2...I wonder where it is at. I will look, thanks for pointing that out!

Mario galaxy 2 is around 6.63M, it should be at 6.,8M by years end, I hope that tops at least 7.5M next year. Also NSMBWii over 23M, let's hope that tops 25M soon,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

spurgeonryan said:
Nintendogamer said:
spurgeonryan said:
Nintendogamer said:

What has it been doing weekly? Wow! A long time in coming for that one as well!

I used to check on all of these weekly. Galaxy 2...I wonder where it is at. I will look, thanks for pointing that out!

Mario galaxy 2 is around 6.63M, it should be at 6.,8M by years end, I hope that tops at least 7.5M next year. Also NSMBWii over 23M, let's hope that tops 25M soon,

Plus not counting revenue just think of the money that these titles make! Just for 20 million sold that is what? On average a billion dollars? 50 times 20 million...yeah sure. I know that they have not always sold like that, but I am just saying. Even at a lower price 25 million copies could easily be a billion. Just crazy that they have been stuggling as of late with those types of sales!

Anyone notice Just Dance 3 this week in sales?

Just dance 3 is a beast ,dance games are just phenomenal on Wii, I think Just dance 2 could be the first 3rd party title to top 9M on Wii. it's over 8M the last time I checked.

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

well done MK

Switch!!!