By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Witcher 2 almost a milion seller (plus a bit of gog numbers)

Tagged games:

Financial report for CDP was released today.

Total sales of Witcher 2 were 960k units (the report includes boxed copies shipped up to 30th June, and digital sales up to today).

Which means it's probably already above a milion at this point in time (according to report it's tracking 30% above TW1)

CDP has made 16 milions PLN (4 milion Euro) of pure profit on TW2 already.

Digital sales are around 20% of total

Gog.com has made 600k euro of pure profit for company (so that's quite a lot of sales at 6/10$ per game)

Looking at the rate it's going i think TW 2 should reach 2 milions on PC alone then add X360 and PS3 version and we could look at 3 milions total.

Together with part 1 it might become 5 milions+ franchise after two parts.

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/39247/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings/

VGC has it at 600k so fairly accurate after we deduct that 20% of digital sales (that suprised me :D)

Link: (I'll save you guys some time and tell it's wholly in polish ;) )

http://www.gpwinfostrefa.pl/palio/html.run?_Instance=cms_gpw.pap.pl&_PageID=6&_EspiID=262237&_DocID=486019&_Site=ESPI&_CheckSum=-2078817687

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:

Total sales of Witcher 2 were 960k units (the report includes boxed copies shipped up to 30th June, and digital sales up to today).

Which means it's probably already above a milion at this point in time (according to report it's tracking 30% above TW1)

Gog.com has made 600k euro of pure profit for company (so that's quite a lot of sales at 6/10$ per game)

Looking at the rate it's going i think TW 2 should reach 2 milions on PC alone then add X360 and PS3 version and we could look at 3 milions total.

VGC has it at 600k so fairly accurate after we deduct that 20% of digital sales (that suprised me :D)

http://www.gpwinfostrefa.pl/palio/html.run?_Instance=cms_gpw.pap.pl&_PageID=6&_EspiID=262237&_DocID=486019&_Site=ESPI&_CheckSum=-2078817687

Awesome sales for the game, but i really don't believe there will be a PS3 version, there team is too small and by the time it came out, it just wouldn't sell , sadly not worth the effort to make a PS3 version. 

My take on TW2 :

I am a big fan of The Witcher. I played the first one (Enhanced Edition), and I was absolutely hooked to that game. I played it 4 times, two times in hard.

I was very eager to play TW2. Had it preordered as soon as it appeared on Steam. Then, when it was released, I was ashamed by the game. It's a very beautiful game, tailorded for next gen platforms. CDP should be proud of their RED engine.

Somehow, the gameplay is a step back from TW1. Combat system has been 'consolised', it does not feel good to play at with kb+mouse, I actually play it with a 360 controller. When in TW1 you could take easily a large group of ennemies, this time you really have to play like a pussy, getting aggro of some... Traps and magic powers are too powerful in comparison imho. Also, at each leveling up, you get only one point, and yor character upgrades quite clumsily. Inventory system has been revamped and is a mess now compared to the one in TW1. Some fights are now too hard imho, and lack the polishness of TW1.

To sum up, I am not happy with TW2.

Nonetheless, I think GOG does a nice job, and I hope CDP will propose us other nice IP in the future.

Blood_Tears said:
Zlejedi said:

Awesome sales for the game, but i really don't believe there will be a PS3 version, there team is too small and by the time it came out, it just wouldn't sell , sadly not worth the effort to make a PS3 version. 

I'm not sure how set in stone it is but the roadmap for CDP so far is X360 version in February and then full concentration on PS3 version so Christmas 2012 maybe or spring 2013 ?

good sells for a great game. if things pick up i'll get for pc in 2013 but if not i'll get it for ps3 in 2013.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
good sells for a great game. if things pick up i'll get for pc in 2013 but if not i'll get it for ps3 in 2013.

Why the two year wait?

well its like i said before. i'm a business major/business minded and the need and power of money is great. when you work you save and cover expences and buy wants if they balance out. but when your out of work(like we both are)you cover your expences with wht you've saved.(spent 10k last yr being out of work, and already spent 5k this yr. shows i manage money well)

everything i do has the word business behind it or infront of it(thats just prime lol). i budgget and spend according to need, and how much i make and since i'm slow looking for work every want gets push'd back to and estimated purchase date accordingly. 

so long story short either i have a job and purhcases fall in to the budgget. i get a job and the pay sucks so everything gets estimated before purchase. or i don't have a job and this gen ends this yr for me.

its a sad reality we face in a tough world but everything has a price even in a bad economy.

Good sales,but it deserves so much more!

I'm actually surprised it hasn't sold more than that yet.

I know when it's all said and done I will have bought 2 copies of the game.

One on the PC which I only got to play the introduction before I had to bring my nice laptop back and 1 copy on the 360 which I will be able to play all the way through.

I'm definitely going to get this game on the 360 unless it turns out to be a horrible port like Risen and Divinity 2 (heard the new ones ok though).

yo_john117 said:
I'm actually surprised it hasn't sold more than that yet.

I know when it's all said and done I will have bought 2 copies of the game.

One on the PC which I only got to play the introduction before I had to bring my nice laptop back and 1 copy on the 360 which I will be able to play all the way through.

Even Mass Effect 2 X360 edition sold 2,5M over a year despite being backed up by Bioware name and EA marketing behemoth