By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop Pulled, Discarded Free OnLive Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coupons (Opened the new copy, removed and discarded free content and sold it as new anyways :O)

Tagged games:

Sorry if already posted :P

Exclusive: GameStop Pulled, Discarded Free OnLive Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coupons

Retailer denied its customers a free OnLive copy of DXHR without informing them.

Yesterday cloud gaming company OnLive and publisher Square Enix announced a Deus Ex: Human Revolution launch promotion that included a free OnLive version of the game with all PC retail copies. However, mega retailer GameStop did not want to take part in the promo and took steps to make sure its customers wouldn't either.

We received reports from a handful of GameStop customers claiming that their new PC boxed copies of DXHR were opened and the OnLive codes were missing. We also received evidence from an anonymous tipster suggesting that it was GameStop management that made the decision to physcially remove the OnLive codes from its PC copies of the game.

Below is a photo of an email printout allegedly sent by GameStop management. We've blurred out the contact information of the person who sent the email, but we did phone the individual and confirm he is a GameStop employee. The individual declined to comment on the OnLive codes and immediately directed us to GameStop's media relations department.

Photo of a print out of the alleged email sent by GameStop management.

Excerpt from email regarding the DXHR OnLive codes.

We then contacted GameStop public relations representative Beth Sharum. In an email reply, Sharum said she needed to further research the issue before providing a detailed response. However, she did confirm GameStop intentionally removed the OnLive coupons:

"Square Enix packed the competitor's coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull and discard these coupons," Sharum said.

To put the value of the promotion in context, OnLive is also selling DXHR through its online platform for $49.99.

We spoke with an OnLive representative who said the company is just now being made aware of the issue and was not prepared to comment. We also reached out to Square Enix and will update this story with any response.

In April, GameStop acquired streaming tech company Spawn Labs and digital distribution platform Impulse. With the acquisitions, the retailer positioned itself to launch a hybrid Steam/OnLive service that will allow gamers to purchase and download full video games or stream and play them on demand. GameStop's fully integrated Impulse service launched in July and its game streaming service is now in beta testing.

Source: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/deus-ex-3-unofficial-title/1190175p1.html

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

Around the Network

I won't be buying any games from GameStop from this point on.

if that shit isn't illegal it ought to be.

That sucks. I will now hand them my money with a grimace on my face when I shop there.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Is this even legal? I mean not only are the discarding advertised content but they're opening a product which probably means it can no longer be classified as new.

Around the Network

I've come to expect if I buy a "new" game from Gamestop it has actually been opened and man-handled by some employee but, damn, that's just a plain dick move. If I didn't already make it a point to not shop at Gamestop and advise everyone to not shop there, I would now.

I hate gamestop. I do whatever I can to avoid that place. They treat their customers so poorly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

A product that been openned automaticly be sale at -33% of its orinal price, or 25% I am not sure but its theoricaly the customer law in quebec.

Damn thats stupid.

Wow I work for them and can't even excuse that. Its probably because we just recently launched a new platform similar to Steam called Impulse and they don't want to promote competition. Still is rediculous and wrong though if its already packaged inside the box. I haven't worked in the past 2 days so I wasn't aware of this.