By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the 3DS region lock due to ebay and the cheap "made in" Honk Kong game?

Tagged games:

Hi Guys,

Looking at ebay there are thousands of pages with lots of DS games, most of them very cheap version made in Honk Kong that will stop to work a week after you first played them.

Indeed all Mario games are first on the list.

Without that would have ds games sold a lot more?

Is it a region lock an economical solution fro Nintendo or ebay with their cheap game and console will ruin the gaming industry as piracy did with Music?

Switch!!!

Around the Network

They have just sold a Ocarina of Time at £18 way cheaper than any other places.

Switch!!!

Not all that far-fetched (and I say that as someone that actually got those HK games).

Xen said:
Not all that far-fetched (and I say that as someone that actually got those HK games).

But what if Nintendo updates the system to block out those Hong Kong games?

(Lol at the thread title.  "Honk Kong"--like an Chinese version of Donkey Kong!)

Hong Kong... and those game work awesome... they are made in china and then brought to HK cause it's easier to post that stuff to the rest of th world... always impressed on how fast they can pirate that stuff

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

They have never worked for me.... After a week are out of business (the only good thing is that ebay has always refund me)!

I mean ebay will refund u anything.

Switch!!!

NiKKoM said:
Hong Kong... and those game work awesome... they are made in china and then brought to HK cause it's easier to post that stuff to the rest of th world... always impressed on how fast they can pirate that stuff

I learned that if that's what you buy, you might as well pirate. Two games bought, burned on both. Afaik, they are used carts in "new" packaging.

@d21: Well, uneeded with a region lock, right?

edit: Coincidentally, I just bought a game from an ebay seller called Konggames... haha. They are a US seller of course, though.

I don't think it's because of the copy games because not only games are region lock on the 3DS, the digital market (for the different local tax regulations i guess) and also the nintendo video application... For example i can't download video on my US 3DS because my IP is not north american one (and that sucks pretty hard for a nomad device that you are likely to take with you when you travel).

But we must first concentrate ourselves on the way to entertain people, for video games to live. Else, it's a world where sales representative will win, which has as effect to kill creativity. I want to say to the creators all around the world:"Courage, Dare!". Shigeru Miyamoto.

I think it has more to do with making it harder for flash cards to work with every 3DS. Majority of flash cards for the DS were produced in China and it was easy for anyone to import one and get it working with their console.

Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:
I think it has more to do with making it harder for flash cards to work with every 3DS. Majority of flash cards for the DS were produced in China and it was easy for anyone to import one and get it working with their console.

With 3DS having updateable firmware and an SD card slot, this'll be figured out eventually.