By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - F.3.A.R. - played it? If so, what do you think?

Tagged games:

After I heard that Monolith isn't making it I figured the game is gonna suck and the franchise is done. However, about half way through campaign with Point man and a few multiplayer matches later and I must say I am happy with the final product.

Looks good (playing PC version), sounds great, and gameplay is tight as ever. AI is still freekin awesome...Makes AI is some recent FPS game campaigns look quite bad (homefront, COD, Crysis 2...). One aspect that they improved greatly is variety. There are Call of Duty moments, large scale Halflife 2 set piece moments...all mixed with the classic FEAR gameplay.

I am somewhat dissapointed with the story though. Don't really care about it to be honest but man is it crap... Wonder why they bother so much with it. Also it doesn't support 3 screen surround on PC, which is complete bullshit. FEAR 1 and 2 supported it perfectly. Screw consoles and being the lead dev platform...

In any case, the game is quite solid and Im looking forward to playing with Fetel and coop with buddies as it looks like its going to be something unique.

Around the Network

i haven't played a fear,how do you like it compared to other 2,i read the box and they seemed to be pleased with their multiplayer stuff

Above & Beyond

i try to forget about f.e.a.r since i know there will never be a similair one to the first entry.

the singleplayer experience is average, not bad though...but it feels a bit outdated

dont care for multiplayer

zuvuyeay said:
i haven't played a fear,how do you like it compared to other 2,i read the box and they seemed to be pleased with their multiplayer stuff

Nothing compares to the first one and thats where FEAR 2 failed...it tried to 1up the first. 

This one really isn't trying to replicate the first FEAR but its bombarding the player variety.  It doesn't have a lot of scares and the feeling of tension but its very achievement driven and coop designed. I want to play it with a buddy... There is leveling up too which fits kind of odd in a sense of story and atmosphere but works very well from the gameplay standpoint.

To sum up what I played so far...this game is basically 1/2 F.E.A.R (hectic action, smart AI, slow mo, very precise gunplay) and the other half are influences from other games like Left 4 Dead, Killzone 2, COD, and Resistance.

Classic developers if our story sucks throw in co-op

PS. I have it but still havnt played it, MY job is a bitch right now

Around the Network

Im...well on the fence on this one.

Regardless of game, Im a sucker for a good story and that is completely lacking here.

The gameplay is great and the AI is awesome as Diso says.

I just feel like something is missing and I just cannot think of what that is right now.

disolitude said:
zuvuyeay said:

Nothing compares to the first one and thats where FEAR 2 failed...it tried to 1up the first. 

This one really isn't trying to replicate the first FEAR but its bombarding the player variety.  It doesn't have a lot of scares and the feeling of tension but its very achievement driven and coop designed. I want to play it with a buddy... There is leveling up too which fits kind of odd in a sense of story and atmosphere but works very well from the gameplay standpoint.

To sum up what I played so far...this game is basically 1/2 F.E.A.R (hectic action, smart AI, slow mo, very precise gunplay) and the other half are influences from other games like Left 4 Dead, Killzone 2, COD, and Resistance.

well you make it sound pretty good,i don't know why i never played them as i like the chiller/ psychological type atmosphere,shame you didn't get your 3 screens,i might get the 1st to have a look,its probably free by now

Above & Beyond

Ssenkahdavic said:

I just feel like something is missing and I just cannot think of what that is right now.

Yeah...its called eyefinity/ Nvidia surround :)

I know what you mean though. Story just isn't htere (what was John Carpenter doing for this game) and It doesn't feel scary to me for some reason. But the scares were replaced with workman-link attitude of getting 10 headshots with sniper while not in slow mo...and some pretty decent variety. Like when I was playing that second level, my gf asked if thats a new Call of Duty game...lol

zuvuyeay said:
disolitude said:
zuvuyeay said:

well you make it sound pretty good,i don't know why i never played them as i like the chiller/ psychological type atmosphere,shame you didn't get your 3 screens,i might get the 1st to have a look,its probably free by now

yeah, first one is wicked. If you play it, try to put yourself in the mindset of the time it came out. 2005...you had Doom 3, Halflife 2 and FEAR. Gunplay wise, fear blows both of those out of the water...even if HL2 is more complete package.

disolitude said:
Ssenkahdavic said:

Yeah...its called eyefinity/ Nvidia surround :)

I know what you mean though. Story just isn't htere (what was John Carpenter doing for this game) and It doesn't feel scary to me for some reason. But the scares were replaced with workman-link attitude of getting 10 headshots with sniper while not in slow mo...and some pretty decent variety. Like when I was playing that second level, my gf asked if thats a new Call of Duty game...lol

Thtats simple, it isnt.  Its not just missing the fact that it isnt scary, its missing even TRYING to be scary.