By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - U.S. Senator Demanding Answers From Sony On PSN Breach

Tagged games:

Examiner

With the PSN users and credit information compromised, Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal (D) is demanding answers from Sony's CEO over the company's "failure to notify millions of customers of a data breach in the PlayStation Network on April 20, 2011."

The Senator echoed many thoughts over the past couple of days since Sony admitted that personal information may have been stolen by saying, "Compounding this concern is the troubling lack of notification from Sony about the nature of the data breach. Although the breach occurred nearly a week ago, Sony has not notified customers of the intrusion, or provided information that is vital to allowing individuals to protect themselves from identity theft, such as informing users whether their personal or financial information may have been compromised."

The letter appears to have been written and delivered prior to Sony's revelation that personal and credit card information stored on the Playstation Network had been compromised. Whether or not it had any effect in Sony putting out the notice is unclear at this time. However, some of Blumenthal's demands including free access to credit reporting services for two years and sufficient insurance to protect them from the possible financial consequences of identity theft was not part of Sony's response. Instead, the company provided credit reporting agencies with the names and contact information of PSN users to have a fraud alert placed on their account at no charge.

The full text of the letter sent from Senator Blumenthal to Sony CEO Jack Tretton is below.

Dear Mr. Tretton:

I am writing regarding a recent data breach of Sony’s PlayStation Network service.  I am troubled by the failure of Sony to immediately notify affected customers of the breach and to extend adequate financial data security protections.

It has been reported that on April 20, 2011, Sony’s PlayStation Network suffered an “external intrusion” and was subsequently disabled. News reports estimate that 50 million to 75 million consumers – many of them children – access the PlayStation Network for video and entertainment. I understand that the PlayStation Network allows users to store credit card information online to facilitate the purchasing of content such as games and movies through the PlayStation Network. A breach of such a widely used service immediately raises concerns of data privacy, identity theft, and other misuse of sensitive personal and financial data, such as names, email addresses, and credit and debit card information.

When a data breach occurs, it is essential that customers be immediately notified about whether and to what extent their personal and financial information has been compromised. Additionally, PlayStation Network users should be provided with financial data security services, including free access to credit reporting services, for two years, the costs of which should be borne by Sony. Affected individuals should also be provided with sufficient insurance to protect them from the possible financial consequences of identity theft.

I am concerned that PlayStation Network users’ personal and financial information may have been inappropriately accessed by a third party. Compounding this concern is the troubling lack of notification from Sony about the nature of the data breach. Although the breach occurred nearly a week ago, Sony has not notified customers of the intrusion, or provided information that is vital to allowing individuals to protect themselves from identity theft, such as informing users whether their personal or financial information may have been compromised.  Nor has Sony specified how it intends to protect these consumers. 

PlayStation Network users deserve more complete information on the data breach, as well as the assurance that their personal and financial information will be securely maintained. I appreciate your prompt response on this important issue.        

Sincerely,

/s/

Richard Blumenthal
United States Senate

Around the Network

this in't ending well for Sony , Obama is a know M$ fanboy

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

yeh thats why this is going down cause of obama....

it could be because sony withehld information from the public about whats going on hmm??

no one seems to care,at least not the ones on here harping about getting more time to complete their single player games.wake peeps this is getting serious.sony held people in the dark about their credit accounts might be at risk to identity theft.shame on you sony.ALMOST A WEEK AGO SONY KNEW ABOUT THIS.

Don,t be Fanboys,Be Gamefans,Play games 4ever...GAME ON(msn)

I see no demands... i see opinions and suggestions... but no demands.

And i'm really not worried about this. You guys are saying they knew about this for over a week when sony said they were investigating what caused it. then they admitted it was an external intrusin. then they said information might have been lifted. Sounds like within their information investigation they learned facts and released the info they had on it

Around the Network

This is a huge F-Up on Sony's part, they waited to long to inform people, the knew DAY ONE what happened.

It's their system, their data, they know when something is breached or not.

Them letting me know over a week later, and not in an Email, but on their Blog, and that I found out on a Arstechnica, is really lame.

I see people actually talking about this as if it's not a big deal, WTF?????, obviously you don't have a credit card and your not worried because mom and dad bought your items.  Identy Theft is no f'en Joke, your whole life can be turned upside down, and I'm not talking about spam mail.

Sony dropped the ball for waiting so long, and still holding back on more info to please their stockholders.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

sega4life said:

This is a huge F-Up on Sony's part, they waited to long to inform people, the knew DAY ONE what happened.

It's their system, their data, they know when something is breached or not.

Them letting me know over a week later, and not in an Email, but on their Blog, and that I found out on a Arstechnica, is really lame.

I see people actually talking about this as if it's not a big deal, WTF?????, obviously you don't have a credit card and your not worried because mom and dad bought your items.  Identy Theft is no f'en Joke, your whole life can be turned upside down, and I'm not talking about spam mail.

Sony dropped the ball for waiting so long, and still holding back on more info to please their stockholders.

my credit limit is over 10k with a credit score of over 750... Im really not too worried.

Big deal. Senator Blumenthal should go lie about serving in Vietnam some more. I'm honored to have my identity stolen because a company as great as Sony fucked up.

badgenome said:

Big deal. Senator Blumenthal should go lie about serving in Vietnam some more. I'm honored to have my identity stolen because a company as great as Sony fucked up.

Please tell me this's a joke

The senator has a point. If information like this is STOLEN the company has an obligation to make their customers aware of it the MOMENT it happens. Banks do this whenever information gets breached, so Sony should have as well. You don't stand around twiddling your thumbs