Weekly Sales Analysis, 15 October 2011 - Forza Motorsport 4 - NewsWilliam D'Angelo , posted on 21 October 2011 / 7,319 Views
Forza Motorsport 4 (X360) is this week’s biggest debut with sales of 538,000, which is 67,000 more than its predecessor. Overall hardware sales are up week on week and down year on year. There are four debuts in the top 40, down from six last week. Software milestones this week: Gears of War 3 (X360) crosses the four million mark; and Zumba Fitness (Wii) reaches the three million mark. 12 games sold over 100,000, the same as last week, and the top 18 sold over 50,000, up from 17 last week.
Week on week sales are up for the PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360, and 3dS, and are down for the DS and PSP. The PlayStation 3 is at the top with sales of 213,000, which is up 4,000 (2%). The Xbox 360 is up 12,000 (7%) to 190,000 units. The 3DS is up 5,000 (3%) to 187,000 units sold. The Wii is up 13,000 (14%) to 108,000 units sold. The PSP sold 75,000 units, which is down 2,000 (-3%) compared to last week. The DS is down 1,000 (-1%) to 70,000 units. Total week on week sales are up 31,000 (4%) to 843,000.
Year on year sales are down for every platform, except for the Xbox 360. The PlayStation 3 is down 31,000 (-13%), the Wii is down 27,000 (-20%), and the Xbox 360 is up 19,000 (11%). The PSP is down 47,000 (-39%) and the DS is down a massive 177,000 (-72%). Total year on year sales are down 76,000 (-8%).
The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 remain well ahead of the Wii. The PlayStation 3 has a 42 percent market share; the Xbox 360 has a 37 percent market share; and the Wii has a 21 percent market share. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 are in first and second for three weeks respectively and the Wii is in third for a 12th week. Compared with ten weeks ago PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 sales are up, and Wii sales are down.
3DS remains well ahead of the DS and PSP outselling both of them combined for a tenth straight week. After some adjustments the PSP has outsold the DS for three weeks. The PSP has a 52 percent market share this week for the current generation handhelds and the DS has a 48 percent. Compared with ten weeks ago 3DS sales are up and the DS and PSP sales are down.
Four games debuted in the top 40 this week, down from six last week. Forza Motorsport (X360) debuts at the top this week with sales of 538,000. The game launched in all three regions worldwide.
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (PS3) debuted at number two with sales of 235,000. The Xbox 360 version debuted at number nine with sales of 110,000. The game launched in all three regions worldwide.
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (PS3) debuted at number 17 with sales of 57,000. The Xbox 360 version debuted at number 18 with sales of 55,000. The game launched in all three regions worldwide.
Might & Magic Heroes VI (PC) debuted at number 39 with sales of 21,000. The game launched in the Americas and EMEAA with no plans to be released in Japan.
Other games in the top 10 that are not debuts include FIFA Soccer 12 (PS3) at number three with sales of 200,000. Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (PS3) is at number four with sales of 185,000. Just Dance 3 (Wii) is at number five with sales of 161,000.
Gears of War 3 (X360) is at number six with sales of 159,000. Rage (X360) is at number seven with sales of 148,000. FIFA Soccer 12 (X360) is at number eight with sales of 136,000. Just Dance 2 (Wii) rounds out the top 10 with sales of 107,000.
Week on week software totals are up for the Wii and DS, and down for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PSP, and 3DS. The Xbox 360 takes the top spot this week with 2.36 million games sold, a decrease of 215,000 (-8%). The PlayStation 3 sold 2.16 million games, a decrease of 894,000 (-29%). Wii software sales are up 190,000 (15%) to 1.48 million. The DS sold 801,000 games, which is up 11,000 (1%). PSP game sales are down 201,000 (-36%) to 356,000 games sold. The 3DS sold 208,000 games, a decrease of 10,000 (-5%). Total combined software is down 1.12 million (-13%) week on week to 7.36 million.
Year on year software totals are down for every platform, except for the Xbox 360. The PlayStation 3 is down 156,000 (-7%), the Wii is down 703,000 (-32%) and the Xbox 360 is up 162,000 (7%). The DS is down 775,000 (-49%) and the PSP is down 237,000 (-40%). Total combined software is down 1.50 million (-17%) games sold year on year.
Xbox 360 software sales take the top spot this week which is after two weeks of the PlayStation 3 in first. The Xbox 360 has a 39 percent market share, the PlayStation 3 with 36 percent, and the Wii with 25 percent. Compared to ten weeks ago all three home consoles are up.
The DS remains at the top as the gap between it and the PSP grow. The DS has a 69 percent market share and the PSP has a 31 percent market share. 3DS software sales remain in well third. Compared to ten weeks ago the DS is up and the PSP and 3DS are down.
To view the full chart click here.
Contact VGChartz at email@example.com