Mario Kart 8 Sales Surpass 8M Units, Wii U at 13.36M Units Sold, 3DS at 61.57M Units Sold - NewsWilliam D'Angelo , posted on 26 October 2016 / 10,488 Views
Nintendo has released its earnings report for the six month period ending September 30, 2016. Revenue decreased by 33 percent to 136.8 billion yen ($1.31 billion) compared to 204.1 billion yen ($1.95 billion) a year ago. Operating income dropped from 8.9 billion yen ($85.2 million) a year ago to a loss of 5.9 billion yen ($56.5 million). That is a drop of 14.8 billion yen ($141.7 million).
Nintendo sold 19 percent more hardware thanks to increased sales of the Nintendo 3DS due to the success of Pokémon Go. Lifetime sales of the Nintendo 3DS are up to 61.57 million units with 293.40 million games sold.
The Wii U sold 560,000 units during the six month period to bring lifetime sales up to 13.36 million units. The weak sales was due to the lack of hit titles according to Nintendo. There have also been 92.35 million games sold lifetime on the Wii U.
Nintendo also revealed that Mario Kart 8 has sold eight million units on the Wii U. That is a 60 percent attach ratio.
Here is a list of sales of other Nintendo titles:
- New Super Mario Bros. U - 5.45 million
- Super Mario 3D World - 5.19 million
- Nintendo Land - 5.13 million
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 4.99 million
- Splatoon - 4.57 million
- Super Mario Maker - 3.73 million
- New Super Luigi U - 2.74 million
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 1.98 million
- Mario Party 10 - 1.94 million
- Pokémon X/Pokémon Y - 15.64 million
- Mario Kart 7 - 13.94 million
- Pokémon Omega Ruby/Pokémon Alpha Sapphire - 13.18 million
- SUPER MARIO 3D LAND - 10.98 million
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 10.60 million
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 10.34 million
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 8.35 million
- Tomodachi Life - 5.30 million
- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 5.03 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 4.52 millio
- Pokemon OR/AS - 1.3 million pcs (this figure is for Q2 only)
- Kirby: Planet Robobot - 1.08 million pcs. (this figure is for Q2 only)
A life-long and avid gamer, William D'Angelo was first introduced to VGChartz in 2007. After years of supporting the site, he was brought on in 2010 as a junior analyst, working his way up to lead analyst in 2012. He has expanded his involvement in the gaming community by producing content on his own YouTube channel and Twitch channel dedicated to gaming Let's Plays and tutorials. You can contact the author at email@example.com or on Twitter @TrunksWD.