Soaring through deadly realistic 3D landscapes, pilots can engage in numerous action-packed single-play missions involving air-to-air, air-to-ground, search & destroy and escort missions. In addition, IL-2 allows 32 human opponents to join multiplayer missions online or via LAN to engage in what GameSpot promises “could turn out to be the best-looking World War II flight sim to date.”
- Fly 31 types of Russian, German and American planes. See them in different camouflage and paint schemes for different times of the year (at least summer and winter). Fly pilot or rear gunner (IL-2 plane types only).
- See 40 other types of aircraft engaged in large air battles (with camouflage paint schemes changing from summer to winter).
- Engage in air-to-air and air-to-ground battles. Destroy any ground object, such as buildings, bridges, airfields, etc.
- Play campaign missions and track your career (with ranks and awards), fighting against intelligent AI opponents.
- Multi-play with up to 32 human or AI players in dogfight mode and 16 players in cooperative missions. Use custom paint schemes, squadron nose art, numbering on wings, and national markings for each single plane.
- Record a flight track of any of your flights and edit these tracks. Then play and enjoy or send this track file to others. Online players can use this to confirm their wins/kills!
- Build new missions and scenarios with an easy to use mission builder. Use missions for single or multiplayer sessions. Play new scenarios designed and uploaded by other players.
- Use new plane sets and new scenarios from free and/or commercial add-ons designed by original developers after release.
- Witness and take part in massive air and ground battles between German and Russian airplanes and tanks. Experience realistic dynamic damage modeling and 3D world environment including terrain, sky, unique clouds and weather conditions, smoke, explosions, fire and other special effects.