By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation 3 likely to catch up with Xbox 360 by the end of 2010.

So I've thinking about sales and what could happen the next couple of years regarding PS3 and the xbox 360. Maybe it's just an open door but I think, in contrast with the 360, the PS3 have some system sellers left that are sequels of popular PS1/2 games which can account for big sales.

• Final Fantasy XIII and & FFIV: in Japan these games should have a massive impact. Probably good for about 1 million of people going to get the PS3 for these games.
  • Gran Turismo 5. Need I say more? A couple of million people waiting to for this game to buy the system
  • God of War III. Maybe not as massive as the games above, but it still should attract 500K.
  • The Last Guardian. Even smaller than God of War, but it's probably gonna be a unique game that'll attract fans of the former ICO games.

All in all these should get at least 4 million new gamers to the Playstation 3. And with the recent numbers of PS3 continuously selling more than the xbox 360 I think the Playstation could end up second in line behind the Wii. 

Around the Network

No this gen will end how it is right now
1. Wii
2. 360
3. Ps3

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

@Aion

How do you know? You live in 2012?

mM

If PS3 is able to close the gap to 5-6 millions this year there's a shot, but this means next year ps3 need to sell every week an average 100k more...it's a lot even counting megatons, bundles and holidays.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Yeah I guess that's a lot,  but I think the PS3 will be selling more than the 360 every week from now on. Even though both the 360 and the PS3 and the 360 had pricecuts hell of a lot more people bought the PS3.

Around the Network

after 2011 christmas it should.
unless microsoft start giving 360 for free-

lets see how NATAL develops first :)

leo-j said:
@Aion

How do you know? You live in 2012?

I was going to reply to the original post, but I just can't find any better response than this^.  

Dinges said:

Yeah I guess that's a lot,  but I think the PS3 will be selling more than the 360 every week from now on. Even though both the 360 and the PS3 and the 360 had pricecuts hell of a lot more people bought the PS3.

You can't compare the sales effect of dropping the high-end to dropping the low-end.  Dropping the low-end taps into the entire market of those who can't/won't spend over a certain amount.  Dropping the high-end taps into those looking to get more gear for less.  Big difference, that.

There are far too many unknowns to say 'likely'

a few points to consider..

• PS Motion Wand launching early 2010 - SCEA expecting sales of around 5 Million
  • Natal launching late 2010 - Microsoft treating it as a console re-launch
  • Microsoft likely to cut the price of the XBOX 360 late next year, probably along with the launch of Natal
  • Both Sony and Microsoft have a comparable software line up, Microsoft releasing yet another Halo, Sony with GT5 as the big title
  • PS3 will still be more expensive than the 360 all year
  • Blu-Ray will be mainstream and 3D Blu-Ray movies and games will begin to be released.
  • Sony will have the momentum going into 2010

I think Sony will be able to get within 4 - 5 million by years end 2010 but it will depend on Natal.. If Natal bombs then Sony could get closer than 4 million but if Natal is a hit then the 360 will extend the lead back past 5 million.