By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why how much a console sells matters!

I know most of you know the answer to this, but I am posting this for the few that don't understand.

What's the big deal, why can't you just be happy with system you got?

What are you guys arguing about, they are just pieces of plastic.

If you don't work for the company, then you shouldn't care.

That is just some of the things I here some people say.

Other than the fact that some people just like the company that makes their console of choice, I personally do not want to have to buy another game system just to play more games if my console of choice losses developer support, not to mention having to re-buy multiplatform games, as I don't like to have two consoles around, and if I like my current selection of exclusive games, I will be gaming on two consoles.

So that is my thoughts on why people argue and defend their console of choice and talk alot about sales. Gamers want their console of choice to sell well, so that console will not loose developer support, the more a console sells the more developer support it gets, the less a console sells relative to another console, there is a chance it can loose developer support, it has happened before and I think it can still happen this generation.

DISCUSS!

Around the Network

wow good ,question...

''Halo reach''.. sell 7.m first week ,Believe¡¡¡¡¡¡

well console sales do not matter but people will always like a company and feel compelled to defend it, its human nature i guess...

but sales do mater cause it means more software should be sold and games will become more profitable:)

They really don't matter IF your console of choice reaches a certain sales threshold. For example, I am a 360 owner, and I really don't care if at some point the PS3 passes it up in sales this gen. The user base is now 30 million and still growing (and selling well) so there is really no way the development community is going to abandon the platform if it eventually finds itself in third place. In fact, all three current gen systems are in good position to enjoy full support for the rest of the generation. Nobody really needs to worry about anything and that's really cool.

Oddly enough, the one platform that is a little worrisome in my eyes is the Wii. The Wii is capable of moving crazy amounts of software, but recent numbers have shown that it's only if it's certain KINDS of software. The hardcore gamer should be worrying about continuing hardcore software support for the Wii, the casual gamer should have no fear.

People discuss the sales of movies, and that effects them even less than the sales of their favoured console and yet they still do it! I suspect it gives people something to talk about aside from Sony's PR blunders and Nintendo still doesn't caaaare about me!

Tease.