By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much does it cost to produce/manufacture Xbox 360 and Wii?

We are well-informed about the PS3 costs since it has a hefty price tag on it and its vital for Sony to lower the price to the levels where it can sell abundant amounts to us. However, we are hardly hearing about how much it costs to manufacture 360 or wii. I guess this is mostly because people take it for granted that MS is in good shape to take enough hits off the hardware losses as it's making huge profits as a shareware company, and Nintendo's console is already quite cheap to produce. However that does not keep me from wanting to see up-to-date figures regarding how much they cost to produce/manufacture.

I have run into some ridiculous figures on the net regarding how much xbox 360 costs, which is unrealistic as PS3 costs have practically gone down to around $450. Nearly every piece on 360 should cost less than or equal to PS3's. This is the case with the CPU, GPU and dvd vs bluray. So I suppose it costs less than $400 to produce. My guess for wii is around $200. I am also well aware of the fact that older consoles have smaller margins to go down in cost. So the reduction in costs of 360 and wii should be less than PS3. So please share your knowledge with me and enlighten me :)

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network

lets keep this thread alive :|

Nobody knows anything about it? C'mon!

only estimations.
360 should be around 230$.
for the arcade but they make it back with live and accesories.

and the wii should be dirt cheap to manufacture.

the gamecube in 2005 was 99$ to retail. in 2009 wii should cost nothing.

I kind of agree with what you say but is it that cheap? I mean wii should cost more than $100 at least for the sake of the controller. Gamecube could be two times slower than wii but it would probably cost the same to produce as wii since new technology gets cheaper quickly while old technology has almost no room for price efficiency.

Around the Network

Based on most recent articles, They make $6 per Wii, 360 is about breakeven, playstation 3 is around $40-50 loss per unit.

I don't believe that the assertion that Nintendo profited on the $99 gamecube to be factually correct. It was a desperate move in a desperate time, under the old management.

Tease.

Also Nintendo was making a good deal of first party sales and profit out of them. The amount of software profit per console that Nintendo makes has always been so much more than the competitors. So actually Nintendo can really justify much larger losses for their console. I wouldnt be surprised to see them giving their next console for practically free no matter how much it would cost. Actually thats a good idea. Why not produce a low cost console, and give it away for free with some other condition like subscription or having to buy certain amount of games per year etc...

At launch, it was estimated that the Wii made $49 US profit, when sold in the US. Obviously, some of this profit is for the retailer.

Also obvious
Wii manufacturing costs have gone down
Ninty makes more money on consoles sold in the 'others' region
The strengthening yen has recently decreased the amount of yen that Ninty gets for each American console sold.

So Ninty could easily cut 20% of the price of the Wii worldwide and still make a profit

One thing for sure that Nintendo has a bigger room for a price cut without getting losses, at least in the medium term. PS3 can get bigger cuts due to a higher price range now. 5 years from now, ps3 will cost similiar to 360 and slightly above wii anyway.