By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crackdown Devs Form New Studio, Crackdown 2 is Go.

Crackdown Devs Form New Studio, Working On Crackdown 2?

Oh boy. According to a Gamasutra report, several members of the Crackdown development team - including lead designer Billy Thomson - have formed a new development studio. And "may" be working on Crackdown 2.

The "form a new studio" bit, that's legit. They're called Ruffian Games, and are based in Dundee, Scotland. But the Crackdown bit?

Gamasutra only state that there are "unconfirmed reports" that the studio are working on it at the moment. Though it's certainly possible, what with the composition of this team, the fact they're not at Realtime (who developed Crackdown) working on APB and the fact Microsoft got awful coy the other day about the possibility of a second Crackdown.

Report: Scottish Developer Ruffian Formed - Crackdown 2 A Possibility? [Gamasutra]

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

This is one of my favourite games so far this generation. I would love to see a sequel.

Hopefully 2010...

I find myself somewhat torn. Crackdown was a seriously good game, but it was the gaming equivalent of a drunken binge. A six hour high followed by days of regret. Like I cannot believe this cost me sixty dollars. The games over powered characters and its oh so short play through complimented each other far too much. Quick to burn you out, and leave you with nothing.

Knowing what I now know I am very wary of another Crackdown. Yes you eventually get your moneys worth, but here is the catch you play those six hour binges every couple of months. Which is most definitely not why you lay down sixty dollars. When you do that you expect to be entranced for a solid week at least. You just cannot continually play the game over and over, and hunting down agility orbs gets really annoying really fast. Especially when you do not need them.

I would say I am mildly interested. However the game will need some radical design changes. Were it to be to true to the first game it would be far less inviting. The worlds needs to be a little less hectic, and a little more strategic. I love the leveling, and the focus on moving around the environment, but I do not want a game I can defeat in less then three hours. I need a game that will engage me for around thirty hours straight out of the box. Otherwise it is not worth sixty dollars on day one. A slick online mode with fifteen friends may be slick enough to hook me though. Especially if its game modes are competitive.

Halo 4 confirmed?

Crackdown always felt like a half finished game to me. The large sandbox city was great, but there was just a lack of interesting missions.

It was like mercenaries where you have to capture / kill the HVT targets, but all the missions were gone.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network

Crackdown is one of my best experience this gen.

Truly.
Amazing
Game.

Crackdown 2 is already on my "Buy on day 1" list.

My Gaming Setup

Halo 4 Beta will be bundled.

I bought this game used for 15 and felt it was damn well worth the money. I enjoyed it shitloads more than GTA4 and loved feeling like a SuperHero running super fast, punching super hard, jumping super high, driving super fast.

@Dodece what about the ability to change difficulty would that have warranted a 60 dollar buy? I spent well over 3 hours on this around 20 but that's only because I had so much fun going after Retomoto Tower when the game said chance of success...extremely low! I armed myself with a pistol and the semi auto Rocket Launcher. It was so effing hard >

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

I really hope this is true.

Please give the bosses agent-like powers, and create a few multiplayer modes in addition to co-op.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick