By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to Lose $1.66 Billion U.S. - Six Time Greater Then Anticipated

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21545

Major analyst firms Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank have lowered their estimates for Sony's earnings, claiming the company's "lagging" behind rivals like Nintendo -- and Sony's share price feels the impact.

Bloomberg reports that Sony's shares fell to their lowest point all week following Credit Suisse's investment rating cut, dropping 5.9 percent to close at 1,825 yen ($20.32).

Credit Suisse tagged Sony shares "underperform," down from "neutral". In the firm's opinion, Sony can't stay competitive without "fundamental changes" to its operating structure.

Although Sony's business covers a wide range of electronics aside from the PlayStation 3, such as Bravia televisions, analysts dinged the company for high operating costs that hamper its ability to compete in numerous arenas, an issue frequently noted in analysis surrounding the PS3's high-end price.

Deutsche Bank cut its recommendation from "buy" to "hold", and reduced its estimate for the company's price by almost half, Bloomberg says.

"We believe fundamental changes to its business structure are necessary," says Tokyo-based Credit Suisse analyst Koya Tabata. "Compared to its peers both at home and overseas, Sony has been slow to react to the current crisis."

Tabata expects Sony to report a net loss of 150 billion yen ($1.66 billion), six times greater than previously expected

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

It is official now that I am finding these threads annoying. The sad thing about this is, this might be my future job.

Sony loosing money for their gamers,gotta love 'em.

Acevil said:
It is official now that I am finding these threads annoying.

Seconded. Gebx, can't you at least PM these articles to someone else, so that they can post it? Having you openly beating the same drum is getting tiresome, even for someone who's indifferent to Sony.

Right, if your reading this sony officials, get out, get out now!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
Acevil said:
It is official now that I am finding these threads annoying.

Same here..>_>

Former something....

Good god gebx

When the Wii and 360 fans are getting tired of these threads, you know it's old.

It's a shame that you foam at the mouth to post these threads because of your hate of a company. You should read my sig.

Please, no one quote me and tell me to read my own sig. I know what it says and I wrote it. >_>

These threads are doing my head in now. There's far far too many of them. We all know Sony is in a sticky patch right now, but why is there a need to create threads like this which just leave Sony open to attack from loads of people on this site.

Although Sony's business covers a wide range of electronics aside from the PlayStation 3, such as Bravia televisions, analysts dinged the company for high operating costs that hamper its ability to compete in numerous arenas, an issue frequently noted in analysis surrounding the PS3's high-end price.

So very true.  I mean, you go to walmart and most 42" HDTV's are around $900-1000.  Then you see the Sony Bravia at like $1300+.  You can get 50" HDTV's for the price of Sony's 42-46" range.  Seems like consumers will choose the Philips or Vizio or even Panasonic when it is $300-400 less.

DMeisterJ said:
Good god gebx

When the Wii and 360 fans are getting tired of these threads, you know it's old.

It's a shame that you foam at the mouth to post these threads because of your hate of a company. You should read my sig.

Please, no one quote me and tell me to read my own sig. I know what it says and I wrote it. >_>

Totally agree.

And DMeisterJ, please do me a favour and read your own sig XD